Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

13.5# of Beefy goodness

...just hit the smoke. Choice brisket. Old #2 Brisket Rub. Pecan wood.
Settling in at 250F.  Let's see how this goes.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Good start! Patiently awaiting results. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Enjoy the ride
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Oh yeah.. gonna watch this one
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Looks good, tomorrow's meal will be delicious!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am betting there will be joy in Tar Heel land tomorrow.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    The most fun cook you can have with the BGE (or any other cooker for that matter).   The friggin cow drives the cook and patience is the watchword.  
    Looks like the beginning of a great evening/morning and a true banquet on the far end.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Woke up at 2:30am, Dome was at 255F, and brisket was at 180F. 
    Woke up at 6:45am, dome was at 275F, and brisket was at 203F, and felt soft all over so I pulled it and it's resting on the counter.

It took a lot less time than I planned for, perhaps due to some temperature creep or high fat content. 

So what's the best way to hold this slab until late afternoon?

I can FTC it, but sounds like for 8-10 hours may be too long. Wrap it tight and put it in a 120Deg oven?

• I would wrap and oven. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Yep, after reading numerous other posts I wrapped in foil and put in the oven at 140F. 

Will post pix when I carve it.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2017
    Wrap in foil, towel then into a cooler before it cools anymore. It'll hold for 8 hours that way.

Edit: just read above. You're good. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Not a bad way to wake up in the morning. Looks great.....smells great too I bet. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    You've got this.
    A question-was the 13.5lbs pre or post-trim weight?  Given you can easily trim 1-2+ lbs of fat such a weight change will definitely be seen in the cook time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited September 2017
    Great looking bark!

If it were me, there would be a chunk of the corner missing...somehow.
    Gittin' there...