Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty questions

Options
1. Is there any cost to the dealer to process a warranty claim?  (I am in business and I understand that there are costs associated with handling parts plus their time to complete the warranty paperwork.)

2. Is it normal for dealers to try to resist a clear cut warranty claim on a major egg component when all of the necessary documentation is provided?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    What is the " clear cut claim"?

there is no disincentive to file claims that I am aware of. Depending on the area and volume of merchandise they sell, there could be some shipping costs from what I understand. We have none due to our distributor being a Rockstar. 
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    @pgprescott the claim is due to a crack in a major ceramic component.  (No, it was not dropped.)

I estimate the dealer to be a mid-high volume retailer in regards to units sold. 
  • ChrisSonn23
    Options
    The only cost is shipping but if it is a good dealer, they should have a truck roll in every month or so. We don't charge shipping on the warranty items we process and we usually give them the replacement part on the spot and replenish on our next order. It is very easy to file a warranty claim and don't know why a dealer would turn one down. Basically losing a future customer
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the paperwork was simple and the last time i only needed a pic of the cracked base, first time way back they wanted the cracked base. getting the base the last time took a couple months, alot of places close up in the winter like the hot tub shops and pool supply places that sell eggs. push come to shove though, an email from bruce at bge usually fixes things up. never been charged but willing to wait til they get the next shipment in.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @pgprescott the claim is due to a crack in a major ceramic component.  (No, it was not dropped.)

I estimate the dealer to be a mid-high volume retailer in regards to units sold. 
    No reason what so ever. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'd hate for it to actually COST the dealer anything out of pocket (except for @pgprescott )

Little Rock, AR

• pgprescott
    Options
    I'd hate for it to actually COST the dealer anything out of pocket (except for @pgprescott )
    Lol! It shouldn't. I think there are some rare cases though. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Post a pic......you now have three dealers in this thread.

But generally, no, you should not get any push back nor do we incur any cost.  An extra 10-20 lbs on a pallet that weighs several hundred is negligible.

I will say that usually a single crack in a firebox or ring is no big deal and I would ask folks to wait until they get a second crack. Reason being, if BGE has to replace either of those for a single crack everytime, you're going to see the price go up or the lifetime warranty change.  But if somebody made a big deal about it, then "the dude abides" and I'd get them a new one.

Crack in a dome or base is an automatic claim for me, but BGE hq does have to approve those which can day an extra day or two.