Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best BBQ in Charlotte, NC

My wife & I are traveling to Charlotte this weekend for a wedding, she is tied up with wedding events, and I am looking to sample some Charlotte Que.  We live in KC so I am familiar with good BBQ.  Looking for some good spots only the locals know about!!  Thanks in Advance!!

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Well, for Q, there's not a lot in the Queen City.   Maybe Saucemans.  

Skip the Q and go to Cajun Queen.  If you want some great tacos, go to Cabo Taco.  They were featured on Triple D.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Skip the Q and go to Cajun Queen.  If you want some great tacos, go to Cabo Taco.  They were featured on Triple D.  
    Now there's a relevant recommendation.  Welcome and enjoy the Cajun food.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168

Agree. Charlotte is not a BBQ town. I second Saucemans but there are a lot better options for grub. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Macs Speed Shop is garbage btw. 
  • bgebrent
    Macs Speed Shop is garbage btw. 
    And not garbage Mr. Helpful?
  • tarheelmatt
    Mac's isn't great.  Their smoked chicken nachos was the best thing I ate there.  

The Smoke Pit in Concord and Salisbury is pretty good too. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Welcome aboard brother.
  • I kid- this is the best bbq in most places here too. We have 10 good ones and 500 bad ones
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    edited August 2017
    I can't help it that Macs isn't good. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    The one place I always send people to in Charlotte is the Cajun Queen. Great food, great atmosphere.....and a all round fun place to go. If you go.....make reservations and ask for a table in the room with the band. Que in Charlotte.....I would not myself.

http://www.cajunqueen.net/
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Cajun Queen a must....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    I've been a few times and don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you do.  But... tastes are subjective.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    edited August 2017
    I've been a few times and don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you do.  But... tastes are subjective.

Their brisket was meh.  The sides were good, pork was good, and the sausage was good.  Their smoked chicken nachos were my fav though.  It wasn't terrible for me.

Choice between Cabo Taco and Mac's?  Cabo Taco every time.   
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937

Their brisket was meh.  The sides were good, pork was good, and the sausage was good.  Their smoked chicken nachos were my fav though.  It wasn't terrible for me.

Choice between Cabo Taco and Mac's?  Cabo Taco every time.   
    Well that's a different story completely.  No argument there.   

I tried Mac's brisket.  It's very different, but smothered in sauce which is generally not a good sign.  I think they slice it and then sauce it and throw it back on the grill or something.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Now when you leave, if the direction is North, stop by Lexington BBQ (honey monk's).  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• cbmontgo
    cbmontgo Posts: 23
    521 BBBQ, just south of Charlotte
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I lived in Charlotte briefly back in the 70s. No good Q to be had then either. There was a place way out N Tryon (I think) that was the best I found. No idea what the name was. Wasn't that great anyhow.

Inlaws lived there so many visits over the years until they passed. Still no good Q. It always surprised me that a city that size had nuthin! Apparently, it still doesn't. Oh, and don't go to Sonny's. I did. Once.

Too bad the Epicurean is gone. Not Q, but a nice upscale restaurant. And worth it just for the biscuits! I'd make biscuits every day if I had THAT recipe!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Wife worked at the Epicurean many years ago. Sonny's....you got that right.

• Carolina Q
    @northGAcock, Hmm, I don't suppose your wife has the recipe for those biscuits does she??

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    I live in CLT and agree with all of the above; no good Que to be had here. There are a lot of BBQ joints but they all try too hard. If you want really good Carolina Que, you must go east, about 4 hours. If you do go to Cabo in NODA (North Davidson Street), a must stop is Amalie's bakery. The one up there in N Charlotte is open 24-7. You won't be disappointed, just be sure to leave some room when ordering dinner. It also wouldn't be a bad drive from Cajun Queen on 7th St. I hope you enjoy your time in our fair city. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    I've heard the Dixie Pig in Rock Hill is good. I was down there last week and we were going to give it a try but life got in the way. My coworkers down there tell me the Pig does ribs right.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • northGAcock
    @northGAcock, Hmm, I don't suppose your wife has the recipe for those biscuits does she??
    Not a chance but she does do the baking here at our house. She was part of the wait staff. 

• Carolina Q
    Not a chance but she does do the baking here at our house. She was part of the wait staff. 
    @northGAcock, oh well. Knew it was a long shot. Istr that the biscuits were made by the owner's wife. Here's an article that might interest your wife...

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/22186/the-long-story-behind-that-empty-lot-on-east-boulevard/

Michael 
    Central Connecticut