Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing Egg at beach

Options
Contemplating buying an egg for our beach house. Of course worried about the salt air, any suggestions?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I guess the only real concern would be what - the DFMT rusting?  Hardly a deal breaker.  But the salt air isn't going to affect the ceramic.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dfmt, bands, nest and nuts and bolts will rust eventually. Not much you can do about it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome to the forum.  Where's the beach house?

Phoenix 
  • jgoducks
    Options
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    I would suggest keeping it inside if you have a spot to roll it into. Lump also burns so much slower so bring fresh lump unless your using it weekly.
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm sure you have owners closets that can store the egg once it's cooled down.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I would only cover it during strong onshore breezes to minimize the salt spray air that hits/dries on it. Hose it off with fresh water frequently (rain showers are also your friend).

Keep an eye on the metal and when any rust "freckles" start popping up on the bands/nest be quick in dealing with them. I'd store the daisywheel in the egg and hit it with spray of PAM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I kept one for years sitting a few feet from salt marsh when living on an island. Sure the Daisy Wheel rusted-it's cast iron and gets hot. The nest has some rust where ashes accumulated around the wheel. The powder coat has held up well with no rust at all. I did not have salt spray except maybe during a storm.
    The egg was never covered.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think humidity level plays a big role in this.
    I live on the Gulf Coast, not on the beach, no salt spray...but my bands and nests are a rusty mess and I have upgraded a few times over the years.
    If you are going to store it I would buy a can of food grade silicon spray and spray the bands and hinges. Would not hurt the nest either.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i really dont understand why bge does not have a stainless band option. i could care less if my bands rust but the normal bge'r would buy that upgrade even if they didnt need it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SurfingEgg321
    Options
    I live a block from the beach. My egg isnt too bad as far as rust is concerned. Its been about a year though, so i guess we will see how long it stands up.
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    i really dont understand why bge does not have a stainless band option. i could care less if my bands rust but the normal bge'r would buy that upgrade even if they didnt need it
    FWIW, I read a comment on here a while back where somebody had talked to a guy at the mothership and the guy told him there were some exciting changes coming sometime in the near future. I think it was in reference to some of the long standing issues that all other kamado companies have overcome, but BGE still doesn't seem to want to fix. A ss band option would be nice and who knows, maybe they'll upgrade the hinge (not holding my breath for anything).
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    edited August 2017
    Options

I would take the nest and have it sandblasted and power coated.  there is a high temp rated powder coating they can apply and it will with stand any weather and will be the best protection.  the band would be hard to do and springs, but you might find some shops that can do it.  My brother in law rides a bike every day, had his done and has had no rust in 6 years of harsh Indiana weather, and I mean everyday, its part of his job.  as for the DW, why not just replace it with the stainless steel smoke ware cap right from the beginning?  I personally have no issues with the daisy wheel but it would eliminate the problem immediately.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• deanrs
    deanrs Posts: 6
    Options
    I live 1/2 block from the beach. I have had my medium for close to 10 years. It sits about 4 feet under a covered patio which opens toward the ocean. I have never covered the egg itself. My band and handle are a bit rusted, my top has a little rust. Otherwise not in too bad of shape.
  • jgoducks
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I was hoping that rust would not be a huge issue and that seems to be the CA's. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Dfmt, bands, nest and nuts and bolts will rust eventually. Not much you can do about it. 
    I'm planning on redoing my nest using Rust Reformer. It's great stuff. 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I have lived on saltwater for 12 years and my original 20 year old egg that sits closest to the water (maybe 30 feet?) still has the original bands and hardware. No rust to speak of, but I do keep it covered with a heavy fleece lined cover, not one of those cheap flimsy ones.  

If anyone thinks the salt doesn't kick up from the water in a storm, then come and check out my sliding glass doors!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    I have lived on saltwater for 12 years.....
    Thanks for rubbing it in! Not jealous at all.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @CanDid - Sorry! Not my intention!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

If anyone thinks the salt doesn't kick up from the water in a storm, then come and check out my sliding glass doors!
    Or watch/listen to the power lines arcing when the salt builds up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk