Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 Baby backs

Options
This was my 2nd effort at Baby backs. Not quite fall off the bone. Seasoned with Dizzy Pig and smoked with apple wood.

XL BGE
MD

Comments

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    They look really good, not too sure how 3-2-1 baby backs weren't fall off the bone. I find 3-1-1 to be too fall off the bone mushy. 
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Not quite fall off the bone sounds good!  What temp did you run?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    250* dome. I was expecting them to be completely fall off the bone. They are not quite that but pull very easily. used apple cider vinegar for the foiled stage.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Good job man. Next time look for the meat pull back on the bones as an early indicator and do the bend test at the end to check for doneness.

I like mine more tender than most here, maybe you do too.

Pick the slab up about the half way point, when it bends down and the meat starts breaking under its own weight that's when it's done for me. At that point  it's really tender how I like. Use a real sharpe knife to cut

if it doesn't start to break I keep cooking 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    dsrguns said:
    bgebrent said:
    250* dome. I was expecting them to be completely fall off the bone. They are not quite that but pull very easily. used apple cider vinegar for the foiled stage.
    Not sure why they weren't fall off the bone with that set up.  Only other question is your thermo calibrated?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dsrguns
    Options
    Will do. I do like mine very tender. Next time I will wait for them to pass the bend test then mop the sauce on for the finish. What method and temp do you use?

XL BGE
    MD
  • dsrguns
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    dsrguns said:
    bgebrent said:
    Not sure why they weren't fall off the bone with that set up.  Only other question is your thermo calibrated?
    Thermo was calibrated 2 cooks prior. Probably should have checked it before this cook. The ribs still are very good. I will just keep adjusting with each cook to get the desired results.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Hans61
    Options
    250-275 dome - usually do a 3- 1.25. -1

i don't sauce on the grill I put a couple sauces on the table and let people pick their own
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    My loin backs are from Costco avg 3lb per slab
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If yours are lighter less time
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dsrguns
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    If yours are lighter less time
    Thanks. These were about 3# a slab.

XL BGE
    MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    I understand the bend test but that's too much work.  Sign up and go with the toothpick for the win.  Probe the thick meat between the bones with no resistance and you are there.  Protein origin doesn't matter (cow, pig, lamb and I'm sure goat and beyond).  Sure fire regardless of whether you have to cut the ribs to fit or not.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.