Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Saturday, Contemplation Included

Options
By request of the Prince, who ships off to college on Wednesday. 

The process here starts with a needle-burying clean burn to eliminate the toxic buildup occasioned by August's heat, humidity and under use.  Yes, thermometer recalibration is on the checklist. 

Expecting to imbibe many beverages into the wee hours as I prep the cook and ruminate about the imminent departure of #1 Son. 

Will try to update as the process unfolds. 

Cheers!

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Hang in there.  The beverages will definitely help.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    My one-and-only starts college Thursday.  This is her final Saturday...  2 racks of baby backs are rubbed, and ready to go in a few hours.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    good luck
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    My one-and-only starts college Thursday.  This is her final Saturday...  2 racks of baby backs are rubbed, and ready to go in a few hours.
    Send them off remembering a great cook, right? That's the plan anyway. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You have obviously turned out some fine brisket to get the recommendation.  Reflect on that and enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
    I have two sons.  A great day around here was when each of them first went off to college.  I was celebrating while SWMBO was dreading the event.  So, be ready for that.  We all get thru it and all are better for it.
    In my youth, I absolutely couldn't wait for the day.  "Don't look back, something' might be gainin' on ya."  The late, great Leroy Satchel Paige.  Words to live by.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Send them off remembering a great cook, right? That's the plan anyway. 
    Yup!  Doing a favorite every day...  Last night was salmon topped with crab.  I'm thinking tomorrow will be a nice steak.  There might be a chicken parm coming...

Next Thursday night I become an empty-nester - yikes!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Very much appreciate the words of wisdom from those who have walked this road before me. And glad I have a brisky (18 lbs!) to trim and season to keep my mind and hands occupied.

Now, off to clean out the egg. I'm pretty sure it's cooled down from the clean burn by now. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sent youngest son off to last college semester (I hope).  As has been said many times, it flies by brother.  Congrats on getting him to this milestone.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing - that's a healthy brisket (I was gonna use manly but not sure of the forum feelings these days =) ) .  You are set up for a great cook and memorial recall down the road.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Nice to have something to keep us occupied while waiting for the egg to stabilize. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    142 degrees IT at 745 am. Next 9 hours may be a nail-biter. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Now that the Prince has arisen from slumber, it's starting to look like a brisket. Hoping the Brisket Gods will deliver me a short stall. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Worked out pretty well. Prince was happy, friends were happy. Not too many leftovers. Good way to send him off to his next adventure. Eclipsed the last brisky I made for sure. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Start thinking about your wedding speach. It's right around the corner. You're in for 4 fun years! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    killer.  well done
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Egghead_Ty
    Options
    Your brisket looks amazing,  so does that pounder pils lol
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great result right there.  Way to bring it home.  Sending him off in fine style.  No worries as college food will only heighten the desire for home-cooked groceries.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    some excellent work! might be as good as i've seen.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Send my oldest off for his first semester on the 16th. Honored him with brisket the Saturday before. He proceeded to take the leftovers and vacuum seal them, froze them and took them with! He has already called and asked for a care package that includes more barbecue. Miss him!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Great send off @HendersonTRKing!!  That is a beautiful brisket.  We moved our youngest to Chicago on the 9th for her first post college job.  At her request we had SRF filets, ribs, and cedar plank salmon before she left...  As has been said many times - cherish these times, they go fast.
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll bet that tastes as good as it looks.  Well done!
    Options
    Well done , looks great !
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Awesome meal for a very special occasion for all. There may indeed be multiple viewpoints, but the most important, by far, is that "the prince is starting his life because of you, and his mother.
    Roots and wings. Hard to do. You did it. Congrats!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    That's a good sendoff.  As you've probably figured out, SWMBO will need you more than the prince does.  After we left our youngest at college 2 years ago we wandered the Baltimore waterfront aimlessly with tears flowing from her eyes until we found some wine...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's a good sendoff.  As you've probably figured out, SWMBO will need you more than the prince does.  After we left our youngest at college 2 years ago we wandered the Baltimore waterfront aimlessly with tears flowing from her eyes until we found some wine...
    T minus one day to lift off, we're out of brisket and I'm just now figuring out who needs support.  It's amazing how effective a distraction fire and meat and alcohol and family/friends eating together can be.  But, yep -- SWMBO and I (and the prince) view this through different lenses.  Good thing I hit all those cooler threads and bought a RTIC for all that wine I'll be packing for the trip!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing Right there with you.  Salmon and crab Friday, baby backs Saturday, beef tenderloin Sunday, chicken parm last night...  I'm taking today off to go for a bike ride with my princess. Thursday my wife and I drop at Univ of Md and become empty nesters...  It's weighing on me.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    @JohnEggGio it will be a tough first week but you will soon get use to it!  My kids finished school and were in and out until 25!  Enjoy the empty nest while you have it.