Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork vs. Beef Rubs

I'm sure that pork and beef rubs share a lot of the same ingredients. Are there major differences that would preclude one from using a pork rub on a brisket?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There are some pork rubs that are mostly sugar. There are a few beef rubs that have no sugar, and almost all have more salt than pork rubs. Dip a finger in the rub, and taste. If its mostly sweet, probably not the best for brisket.

Onion and garlic are very common for both, mustard too.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    It's all individual. But beef rubs should be heavier on the pepper and perhaps more salt. @gdenby  has it for starters, give it the finger wave test and then go from there.  Or when next cooking whichever cut go half with one rub and half with the other.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Agree with @lousubcap and @gdenby - our favourite beef rubs usually have some celery salt in them, celery salt is not great for pork, IMO.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Agree with @lousubcap and @gdenby - our favourite beef rubs usually have some celery salt in them, celery salt is not great for pork, IMO.
    I agree! Helps the smoke ring as well! Not sure I would hate it on pork, but I do not use any in my pork rubs.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am tired.  I thought your post topic was "Pork Vs. Beef Ribs". Still thinking that I then read your first sentence as, "I'm sure that pork and beef ribs share a lot of the same ingredients."

I was like what the hell??? Same ingredients in beef and pork. It has been a long day. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    John
    Now I don't feel so bad. I got as far as reading the headline the second time.
    Cooking on the coast