Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are frequent short cooks hard on ceramic?

Options
This thought has been stuck in my head for the last few days and I can't shake it.

80% of my cooks are short and semi-hot. On a normal day, I get home from work, light the grill and the lump go for about 5 minutes with the lid open while I prep food. Close it up around 350/450, cook my food (chicken, burgers, steak, fish) and as soon as the food is done I close top and bottom vents. Next day I repeat the same process.

Is this repeated cold/hot/cold/hot ok?  My main concern is that since the cooks are so short, the whole grill isn't getting evenly heated.

Open to any opinions on this one...
Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That's fine - besides I see no reason to even have that cross your mind! Egg-On!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Heating ceramic up quickly and unevenly creates more stress than heating it up slowly and evenly.

This is a fact.

That said, don't worry about it.  Cook how you want.  It's a tool, and it's designed to grill as well as bake.  If there are any flaws in the ceramic that cause an early demise, there is a warranty to replace faulty ceramic.

Cook on my friend.
    Options
    You may need to remove your avatar
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Hahahaha
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    imo your normal day routine is fine and not really fast enough that is heats up and cools down "too fast" to cause any concerns.
    My question is when i want to blast my egg at 500-600 degrees for pizza during a 10 degree cold day outside if this will warrant any problems?
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ok I don't care who you are...that's just funny!
    thetrim said:
    Oh yeah and egg on and stuff. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Heating ceramic up quickly and unevenly creates more stress than heating it up slowly and evenly.

This is a fact.
    Thermomechanics for the win!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think the short cooks are causing any undue stress. The ceramic may not be evenly heated while you are cooking, but it takes a while for the egg to cool down. I think by the time the egg cools off it is fairly evenly heated. 

However, if you cook on it often and keep it for many years your egg will probably crack no matter what you do. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JustRog
    JustRog Posts: 2
    Options
    Over ten years of constant use.  Most times the cooks are done just as the OP describes.  Cracked fire box and warped plate but the egg smokes on !

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Is that gasket original?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Is that gasket original?
    I don't see a gasket  =)
  • JustRog
    JustRog Posts: 2
    Options
    Gaskets are so yesterday
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,897
    Options
    I think his signature may explain his concern. Warranty may not be in play.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    On the other extreme, the Waldo Canyon fire In Colorado Springs proved that an LBGE could survive temperatures near 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. Flames combined with 65mph winds created a firestorm in the area known as Mountain Shadows. 357 houses burned to the ground. Cars were burned to the frame, appliance housings melted and steel support beams were twisted like pretzels. (FYI - My house survived but the fire came within 2 blocks before it was contained.)

What in the world does any of this have to do with Big Green Egg, you ask???

Fast forward a few months later to my trip to my local Ace Hardware. As I approached the BGE area I noticed a picture of some of the worst devastation in Mountain Shadows area fire. I asked an Ace associate why such a terrible picture of some things all want to forget be displayed in a hardware store. She smiled and asked me to look at the picture closely. I didn't see anything other that the devastation. She said "Look there. What do you see?" It was a Large Big Green Egg! The nest had collapsed but the BGE looked to have survived. The associate said the owner replaced the nest, wood handle, shelves, gasket and the daisy wheel because the wire handle melted. The dome, base, platesetter, and firebox were not damaged. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Not really surprising since kamados are fired in a kiln that is hotter than 2000°F.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My philospophy - my grills are my tools, and I'm gonna use them without babying them.  I'm pretty sure an egg will handle what you can dish out though.
    Phoenix 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

My philospophy - my grills are my tools, and I'm gonna use them without babying them.  I'm pretty sure an egg will handle what you can dish out though.
    Agree. 

It's a cooker - not super fragile Elven magic in ceramic form. Use it to cook like you want to. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I am not even sure the ceramic is getting hot enough to make a whole lot of difference. IMO, you are not heating it up too fast, it's not too high of a temp, and shutting everything down means a slow cool down. I wouldn't worry about it. The ceramic has a lifetime warranty.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thermal mass is your friend here.