Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Shoved A Turkey In The Mini

Options
I found a few good sales this week at the local grocery store. I picked up 10 pork shoulders for .99/pound, 6 whole chickens for $3/piece, and two turkey breast for .99/pound. Hard to go wrong at those price points. I kept a turkey breast out before the rest of the goods hit the deep freeze.

I picked the mini to smoke with more less to see if it was possible to get a partial turkey in it. Was it the right decision? Probably not. It took a good 30-45 minutes to get the mini up around 300 degrees with it being stuffed inside with very little room. The turkey also should have had a drip pan between the grid and platesetter. This all would have fit perfectly in my small egg but what fun is that? I also had to remove the thermometer as the turkey was surrounded by the dome. I had to best guess the temp with the lower vent. I double checked with the dome thermometer after the turkey came off to see where I was at during the cook. I ended up being 10 degrees off my target temp. I'll take it!

Here's a few shots of the mini and the turkey. I threw in some pecan chips for smoke.

Was it the best turkey ever? Nah. Was is fun messing around with the mini? Absolutely! Pretty simple meal and turkey turned out much better than I imagined. I didn't know how moist the turkey would be being pressed up against the dome. I'd say it was on par with the bigger large when doing turkeys. I'll call it a win for under $7 with leftovers. Thanks for looking! 
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I'll take some of your leftovers, if you have any. Looks great!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That looks good man. Here are some turkey wings on the Mini (direct). 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I am familiar with the two-day meat sale you have taken advantage of. Nice work on the bird.
    Stillwater, MN
  • cookingdude555
    Options
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Great grocery work, you got that mini at full capacity.  Nice cook.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very impressive work withe Mini!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice job!  I'm surprised it fit.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Options
    Lookin' good to me!
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That is a fine looking bird right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dude. Just gotta say, your posts never dissapoint. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    I'll take some of your leftovers, if you have any. Looks great!
    Thanks much JNDATHP!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Mickey said:
    That looks good man. Here are some turkey wings on the Mini (direct). 
    Thanks Mickey! I think you found the rest of my turkey! Looks great!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I am familiar with the two-day meat sale you have taken advantage of. Nice work on the bird.
    Thanks StillH20Egger! Cub ran the .99 pork butts earlier this year and I didn't take advantage of it. No messing around this go around. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Impressive
    Thanks cookingdude555!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Focker said:
    Great grocery work, you got that mini at full capacity.  Nice cook.
    Thanks Focker! I'm maxing out the deep freeze with the other stuff in it. I need to start clearing house pretty quick. I'm not too good at remembering to thaw out food before I need it. Something I need to get better at

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Very impressive work withe Mini!!!!
    Thanks YukonRon! My mini should be used more often than it does. It was a nice night out last night. I didn't mind babysitting and checking up on it.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Nice job!  I'm surprised it fit.
    Thanks thetrim! I honestly didn't think it was going to happen. The temp finally climbed past 300 degress after about 45 minutes. I even tried rotating the turkey around the grid to see if that would help with the air flow for temp. I'll admit that I even made a movement towards my small egg as I was ready to throw in the towel. With me being stubborn I decided against using the small and walked away. The temp eventually found it's way to my target temp but not without fight. If I was restricted to a certain time for dinner I would have gone with the small egg. I had some time and a nice night so I figured why not with the mini.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    Lookin' good to me!
    Hey thanks Flatoot!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    That is a fine looking bird right there.
    Thanks northGAcock! I didn't know what to expect. A fun little cook nontheless 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Dude. Just gotta say, your posts never dissapoint. 
    You're too nice Jeremiah! 

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great cook man!!! We use our MM quite frequently. Did a whole Turkey for Christmas In July. And just smoked and seared 8 chicken quarters simultaneously last weekend.  

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Great cook man!!! We use our MM quite frequently. Did a whole Turkey for Christmas In July. And just smoked and seared 8 chicken quarters simultaneously last weekend.  

Thanks NPHuskerFL! Those quarters look spot on! It has to be fun making meals with those dueling MM you and your son have

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @weberwho - you may have just made hero status.    Nice job maxin out the mini 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Your crazy basterd!  Great cook brother, pushing the envelope.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Weber Who

Those are super prices. Last breast was about $20.00 for an eight pounder. I am waiting expectantly to see the 10 shoulder on the Mini. Turkey looks great.
    Cooking on the coast
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @weberwho - you may have just made hero status.    Nice job maxin out the mini 
    Haha! Thanks Mattman3969! I tend to make easy things difficult 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Your crazy basterd!  Great cook brother, pushing the envelope.
    Haha bgebrent! Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Weber Who

Those are super prices. Last breast was about $20.00 for an eight pounder. I am waiting expectantly to see the 10 shoulder on the Mini. Turkey looks great.
    Hey thanks BikerBob! Ouch on the $20 turkey breasts. I'm not sure if any of the butts I picked up will fit on the mini. I know others here have done them on the mini in the past. My best guess would be turbo on the butts. I don't think you will get an overnighter with lump consumption with the mini. I like the way you think though!

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Didn't Richard Gere do something like this?  

I kid!

Looks great!
    Options
    Didn't Richard Gere do something like this?  

I kid!

Looks great!

Thanks Nolaegghead!

Minnesota