Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE owner finally bought the convEGGtor

Options
mchestnut
mchestnut Posts: 9
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
I'm still a newbie to owning a BGE and after a few months of owning it and only cooking with direct heat, I finally decided on buying the plate setter for my LBGE.  This forum helped me realize that it's a must have when owning a egg.  Since so far I've mostly been cooking Chicken Breast, Legs,Thighs and Wings.  Does anybody recommend the platesetter for chicken?  Just looking for opinions on cooking with a platesetter.  Thank you 

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Some people do used it to cook wings, breast. I use it myself when I don't feel like watching it to close like I would with direct heat. It does make cooking chicken breast or pork loin come out juicer. Lean meats should be cooked at lower temps and indirect that way the heat has time to reach the middle and not dry out the rest of the outside. Breast themselves are hard do to. There odd shaped. If I cook boneless skinless breast I like to pound them out and make them even.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I go back and forth direct vs indirect when doing wings.  I use all the time when I do pulled chicken.  Where you will really want to use the platesetter is when doing ribs, butts, briskets, any thing that you are wanting to do low and slow.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I usually cook chicken indirect. That setup you are showing will make some great chicken. Cook it on the top rack at 400ish and you will get some crispy skin because of the convection and the radiant heat off the dome. 

If you are looking for other indirect ideas for the plate setter, just think of anything you would cook in an oven or a typical smoker. Butts for pulled pork,brisket, pulled beef, ribs (beef or pork), roasts (e.g. prime rib), pizza, lasagna, etc. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    I use it all the time for chicken thighs so I can cook them slow and infuse some smoke.  Occasionally the skin doesn't crisp as much as we like during indirect so I'll pull the platesetter and finish direct - almost like a reverse sear.  I also use it on beer can chicken, reverse searing thick SRF steaks, and all the L&S plus pizza as @SmokeyPitt notes above.  Enjoy the addition to your Egg tool chest - makes the Egg more versatile and expands what you can cook and serve!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The first time I cooked a spatchcock chicken, I followed these directions from @evenwhenitsraining on the older forum:
    Ben's Basic Bird 

1 roasting chicken (usually about 2-3 lbs.) 
    EVOO 
    S&P 

*Get your Egg cranked up to 500-600 degrees. This step is essential. You're definitely going to use the indirect heat method so have your plate setter ready but don't drop it in yet because it takes way longer to heat the egg that way.  
    *Rinse the bird thoroughly.  
    *Cut out the backbone with poultry shears or a heavy duty knife.  
    *VERY IMPORTANT: Thoroughly pat the chicken dry with paper towels. This is important for crackling golden skin. 
    *Place the chicken skin side up on a cutting board and then press the breasts down in the middle, effectively breaking the breastbone and forming a flat, splayed out bird. (also called, "splatchcocking") Tuck the wing tips under them selves so they don't burn.  
    *With a brush, coat the entire chicken, both sides, with EVOO and then a LIBERAL sprinkling of kosher salt and freshly milled pepper. The EVOO helps the seasoning to stick, adds flavor, and promotes browning. Don't be shy with the Kosher salt. (Although careful with regular table salt, it could ruin the bird, not to mention anything else you use that **** on!)  
    *Is your Egg rocket hot? If it's up to 600, don't sweat it. Put your chicken on the grill, skin side up, with the plate setter under the grill. (Legs up position! No drip pan necessary.)  
    *Adjust your drafts so that the Egg descends to 450-475. You're not going to flip the bird, even once. It cooks skin side up the entire time.  
    *Once your Egg is holding steady at 450-475, walk away and drink some form of alcohol for at least 30 minutes.  
    *At around 50-55 minutes, the skin of the chicken should be DEEP amber/golden all over and there should be bubbles of air under the skin on the breasts. YOUR CHICKEN IS NOT DONE UNTIL THE LEGS ARE JUST BEGINNING TO EASILY PULL AWAY FROM THE BODY OF THE CHICKEN. A tug should be able to easily separate the leg/thigh from the breast!  
    I know, I know, you're worry about a dried out breast but this simply does not happen with roasted chicken. Low and slow actually tends to dehydrate the chicken more so than a searing hot roast temp. This chicken is going to be juicy, tender, and falling off the bone. The skin should be thin, crispy, and salty. Enjoy with a bottle of dry rose, Cote du Rhone, or a fabulous Viognier. Man, I'm cooking pork loin roast tonight and typing this all out really makes me want to have chicken!
    I only modified it by checking temps with my Thermapen to be sure the chicken is done exactly the way I like it.  I loved the result, usually still do them about this way, though I don't always get it quite that hot.  I think very many people here do them raised direct.  Probably good -- I've never tried it.

I use my plate setters a lot -- anything I'm smoking/barbecueing, cooking with smoke indirect low-and-slow.  Pork butt, ribs, brisket, pepper stout beef...
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    six_egg said:
    I use it myself when I don't feel like watching it to close like I would with direct heat. 
    +1

Breasts, Salmon on plank, veggies all get indirect.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    i cook more often indirect then direct.  plate setter is must have.  bought ray lampi's bge book...he does thighs or legs at 550, indirect for about 30 minutes, sauce at the end.  done perfectly, crispy and quick.  never fails.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I have done it both ways, but feel like I get more consistent results (and still get crispy skin) going indirect. People are on both sides of this so I'd suggest trying each way and decide from there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    It's nice you wrap your plate setter in foil to keep it clean. I did too, but that doesn't last forever. 
    I like the cast iron plate setter. No desire whatsoever to keep that cleaner than the grill.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I've had my LBGE for about a year now, and use it nearly every weekend. I think I've only used it once without the plate setter. I just don't view the Egg as a strong contender on a direct cook. Heresy, I know. If I'm doing a quick direct cook (burgers, steaks, brats, etc.) I break out my trusty Weber kettle. It's served me well for the last 35 years and makes a great companion to my Egg.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Egghead_Ty
    Options
    Mix it up, have fun with it.  Change up the time, temps, and the way you cook things.  Best part is eggperimenting 
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    Theophan said:  
    *VERY IMPORTANT: Thoroughly pat the chicken dry with paper towels. This is important for crackling golden skin. 
    Another good way to get the skin very dry is to leave the bird uncovered in the fridge overnight. The dry air in the fridge does a great job of drying out the skin. I've done it before and after spatchcocking and both work.