Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Family Pizza Challenge - Pizza Suggestions needed

Options
Friday night, the family is doing a pizza challenge - everyone has to make one thin crust pizza on the BGE. My wife feels like she has it quote "in the bag" (despite having never cooked on the egg). Any suggestions? I had a couple of ideas- 
1. Garlic oil white pizza with green tomato's, charred corn and crab, maybe some goat cheese 
2. Buffalo chicken
3. White BBQ sauce Chicken Pizza   
4. Scallop, Bacon and Pesto 
Any other winners ? 

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    As photoegg says you are racing for 2nd place (maybe even 3rd 4th or 5th depending on the number of kids you have). I vote for the white chicken pizza.
    Snellville, GA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    do a 900 degree plus neapolitan pizza. do yours first, after she sees the fireball that jumps out when you open it, theres no way she makes a pizza =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The prettiest pie I've seen (pictures of) was a margherita from Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. 

The tastiest one I've ever made was a garlic white sauce pancetta pie, 900° on the egg. 

Pics aren't so great, but the pie sure was! [PS, I wouldn't go 900° again. Too intense and also unnecessary.]

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Olive oil. Bosc pear, shaved drunken goat cheese, prosciutto, Basil, and basalmic drizzle on top. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Coach Egghead
    Options
    Loving the suggestions, keep them coming 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Pulled pork, red onions, Mexican cheese, BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce.  Always a winner.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Your pesto pizza idea is good, and reliable.  I'd sub shrimp for scallops personally.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Prosciutto, fig, goat cheese and arugula.

Polish sausage, sauerkraut and gruyere cheese. 

Walnuts, grapes and blue cheese with cream pizza sauce. 

BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, hot peppers and feta.
  • jones2289
    Options
    Pulled pork, red onions, Mexican cheese, BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce.  Always a winner.
    I'll second this, but say we like to mix pizza sauce and bbq sauce 50/50, then drizzle the finished pizza with BBQ sauce before throwing in the oven.  Toss on some crushed red pepper for heat, if the crowd likes that.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Of the four you listed, I'd be all over #1.

One of the best white pizzas from where I used to live was a simple one. I don't remember which main cheese was used, but there was some ricotta, a little Gorgonzola here and there, and they sprinkled roasted pine nuts on it - not a ton, but you'd be waiting for it. Amazing.

Another great "white" pizza - that won't win your challenge, but made us and other customers swoon when free samples were handed out after a restaurant got a brick oven - had no cheese. It was just this amazing crust, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Sometimes I like simple better than tarted up. 

Love @Killit_and_Grillit's Bosc pear and goat cheese with balsamic etc., though hold the prosciutto for me (I know, I'm weird).

Beth

ETA: some ricotta
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We do a white pizza here that is truffle oil, green apple, and Brie over a ricotta spread base.  Insanely good.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Another great "white" pizza - that won't win your challenge, but made us and other customers swoon when free samples were handed out after a restaurant got a brick oven - had no cheese. It was just this amazing crust, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Sometimes I like simple better than tarted up. 

Beth
    Reminds me of @Zippylip's flatbread with oil, s&p and fresh thyme after the cook. Delicious!! Here's his post. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2002801#Comment_2002801
    If you scroll way down, I tried my hand at it.

But as you say, it probably won't win this challenge.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Consider this breakfast pizza

* Pizza dough topped with traditional red sauce or biscuit gravy (both are excellent)

* Thin layer of Mozzarella Cheese

* On the Blackstone, take 6 - 8 eggs (beat) and pour on to the griddle to make a nice round thin lawyer of cooked egg.

* move this on top of your pie

* Add a lawyer of hash browns & ground sausage

* Cover with mozzarella cheese and bake

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • bjeans
    Options
    bjeans said:

Beth
    Reminds me of @Zippylip's flatbread with oil, s&p and fresh thyme after the cook. Delicious!! Here's his post. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2002801#Comment_2002801

Just went to see the one you made. It looks insanely delicious, will have to make it. Don't want to go OT but when do you choose a steel for pizza instead of a stone? 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    We do a white pizza here that is truffle oil, green apple, and Brie over a ricotta spread base.  Insanely good.
    John....Have you switch allegiances? Sounds like you have moved over to the Wine and Cheese crowd of the color of the sky? Say it ain't so.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    John....Have you switch allegiances? Sounds like you have moved over to the Wine and Cheese crowd of the color of the sky? Say it ain't so.
    Truth be told a local place makes this kind of pie.  We had it one time because an old friend of mine is a vegetarian (I'm doing what I can to change that) and she picked it out when we went there for dinner.

Now we frequently get it ourselves, and I've even made it a few times myself on the Egg.  Trust me sir, despite jokes about the French, this pizza works like a champ.  No surrender monkeys here buddy!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    bjeans said:
    bjeans said:

Beth

Just went to see the one you made. It looks insanely delicious, will have to make it. Don't want to go OT but when do you choose a steel for pizza instead of a stone? 
    @bjeans, I had a large stone for my oven. When I bought an egg, I got a BGE stone to fit.

A few years later, a guy named Andris Lagsdin came out with the Baking Steel®. Seemed like a good idea, but not for $80-90. So I went to a steel yard and bought a piece of scrap for about $12. Love it! I haven't used either stone since I got the steel.

By then, I had gone back to baking all my pizzas in my oven so I never trimmed my steel to fit my egg (though that was my original intent). It pretty much lives in my oven now.

It also fits my Weber (coincidentally), though I haven't used it there in quite a while. If you bank all the coals at one end, it makes a nice 2-zone flattop. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bjeans
    Options
    Thank you, Michael. Great idea - including your version. I've never made pizza but that's going to change. 

Beth
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I think the key is to keep it simple, but make the best simple pizza ever.  In the end, that will almost always win over the "out there" approaches that most family members will choose.  I'd do a white garlic spread, six cheese Italian blend, and fresh sliced pepperoni.  That's it.  If you wanted to go a little more daring, add some mild or hot green chili's (canned works fine for this).  When you take a bite you get that garlic .. then cheese, then pepperoni/green chili hit.  It's hard to beat.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I agree.
    It's hard to beat a proper Marg.
    Nothing to hide behind.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    Options
    Legume said:
    Shameless self-promotion, but these were fantastic.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199261/late-night-pizza#latest

I appreciate your shamelessness. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    +1 Margherita za for the simple delicious win. 
  • jdsmithii
    Options
    Had friends over and made many pies.  The hands down winner, for meat eaters and vegetarians alike, was as follows:

Diced garlic/roasted garlic mixed with olive oil, dried basil, oregano, thyme, mozz & fresh parm cheeses, and topped with snap peas, asparagus and shallots (all tossed in oil, salt and pepper).
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    bjeans said:

Beth

get some za'atar seasoning that has sumac, penzeys has a good one.  better than plain thyme. the syrian/lebanese bakeries make it here, i buy a stack every other week or so and the za'atar sesoning works well on lamb and pork as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Try this one:  red sauce, pistachios and kalamata olives,  no cheese and crush up the pistachios.  It is one of the most underrated pies at Pizzeria Bianco....
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    My crowd pleaser is usually pulled pork, not too unique on these forums though.

I use a bbq based sauce, then pulled pork, thin sliced red onion, cilanro, usually a white cheese, and sometimes I throw in some thin sliced pickles or candied jalapenos. The hardest part is controlling the amount of toppings, over topped pizzas won't cook right.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Keep it simple....
    New Albany, Ohio