Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

17inch or wait for the 22inch blackstone.

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    If you have room for the 32", I recommend waiting.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • EggPlant
    EggPlant Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree for $49.  
    Mundelein, IL
  • EggPlant
    Options
    I guess this would be considered the minimax for blackstones.
    Mundelein, IL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    For that price I'd get two 17's.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Bigger is better.  Not from Texas.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    32 or bust

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    EggPlant said:
    I guess this would be considered the minimax for blackstones.
    The 22" is the Minimax, the 17" is the mini. If it has to be only one or the other, I would get the 22". I have both. I live near the manufacturer and was able to contact them and get the 22" that someone returned for only $75. Ive only used it once but it was awesome. They also told me the HSN exclusive on the 22" doesn't have an end right now. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    For $49 I would grab it. Should you decide it is too small, you are only out $49. You might decide the size is fine. Even if you decide later you need a bigger one, you can always use the 17 for camping, tailgating or as a backup for the bigger one.
    +1

I used  the 17 for about a year and loved it. Prefer the 22 but for the price you can't go wrong
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i like the 17 but i believe the griddle is thicker on the 22. the 17 warps, they semi fixed the problem but it looks like a cub scout did it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    For that price I would get it... but ultimately get a 36... awesome device and you will use it.. a lot!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • EggPlant
    Options
    I called Blackstone and they have returned 22s for sale but they don't ship. HSN now has the 22s in stock but for $199.

Mundelein, IL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Depends on how you plan to use it. My 17 is perfect for tailgating and quick cooks of Bacon for BLT's. If you plan and or need to cook large volumes....that should drive your decision. That is a killa deal though for the 17.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For that price I would get it... but ultimately get a 36... awesome device and you will use it.. a lot!!
    Really? I bought a 17 last November, didn't even light it until March or April. Since then, I've only gone thru two, maybe three cylinders. In other words, it's barely seasoned and I've had it for 8 months. No way I would get a larger one.

So far, it has not warped... but cobwebs are EVERYWHERE! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Really? I bought a 17 last November, didn't even light it until March or April. Since then, I've only gone thru two, maybe three cylinders. In other words, it's barely seasoned and I've had it for 8 months. No way I would get a larger one.

Well I am sure its different for everyone... we use ours 3 to 4 days a week... hardly ever use stove in the house... so much more versatile and the results outstanding... you are welcome here anytime to see for yourself...  =)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Sorry but have a question about these??? is the stainless Steel worth the extra $$$? I was looking on Amazon and likes the SS but not the price.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    Sorry but have a question about these??? is the stainless Steel worth the extra $$$? I was looking on Amazon and likes the SS but not the price.
    I have the SS 36" and love it.  I'm a big proponent of spending a little extra once on steel that doesn't rust apart in a few years vs pinching the pennies and buying it over and over.
    Options
    I have both the 17" and the 22" and I can tell you without question or hesitation to WAIT for the 22".  It doesn't matter how good of a deal the 17" is.  What good is a good deal only to have a piece of equipment that doesn't work for you? I agree it is good for tailgating, but too small for anything else.

I only cook for my wife and I, along with our two dogs.  Even with that, the 17" was too small and always crowded, yet I didn't need one of those big freestanding units.  The 22" is perfect.  It's big enough that it's not crowded, yet small enough to sit on my BGE table.  Good things come to those that wait.  You need to WAIT.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Well I am sure its different for everyone... we use ours 3 to 4 days a week... hardly ever use stove in the house... so much more versatile and the results outstanding... you are welcome here anytime to see for yourself...  =)
    Mine doesn't really have cobwebs. :) Over the 4th, I did smashburgers and toasted buns for 12 people on my 17. Yes, I had to do them in shifts, 4-5 at a time which is far from ideal. But we managed. The 17 has only the single H-burner (limited room over the hot spot) and puts out only 12K BTU (limited heat).

But for my needs, the 17 is plenty. It will even cook a whole pound of bacon. Main thing I like is searing without smoking up the house. As you say, different for everyone. =)

Used to live in CLT, in-laws were there too. But I never get back down that way any more. Otherwise, I'd take you up on your offer. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    i like the 17 but i believe the griddle is thicker on the 22. the 17 warps, they semi fixed the problem but it looks like a cub scout did it
    My 22 came with the after-thought strut bars, like the 17.