Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Digital Food Scale Recommendations?

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
I'm looking for a cheaper digital food scale. Under $50 preferably. Something more less to convert into grams when working with recipes. Any recommendations or tips are welcomed. Do any scales come with a bowl or do you just add a bowl to the scale and zero it out? I've never owned a food scale obviously. Thanks! 
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just zero it out with your bowl. Get one with a larger scale base. 

Find one on Amazon. It's just a scale....
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5IM5PY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's about $10.  I'm sure it's not super precise but it works for me.  And just like you said, I put a bowl on it and zero it out.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Good tip on the larger base. Thanks! Just wasn't sure if one brand was better than the other on the cheaper end 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5IM5PY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's about $10.  I'm sure it's not super precise but it works for me.  And just like you said, I put a bowl on it and zero it out.

Wow! Great price and a ton of good reviews. Thanks Pete!

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I have this, the display detatches so if you have larger items , converts to grams has tear weight an 11 pound capacity 49.00
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I have this, the display detatches so if you have larger items , converts to grams has tear weight an 11 pound capacity 49.00
    Thanks lkapigian!

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited July 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Good tip on the larger base. Thanks! Just wasn't sure if one brand was better than the other on the cheaper end 
    If you're not weighing drugs, any old scale will do the trick  
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @WeberWho i never really weighed until I got into sausage making, found knowing weights does matter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

If you're not weighing drugs, any old scale will do the trick  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @WeberWho i never really weighed until I got into sausage making, found knowing weights does matter
    @lkapigian That's something I'd like to try one day. My wife and her grandma make potato sausage. (Family tradition) I'm not the biggest fan of it but would like to dabble with some other recipes. Good to know about using a scale for it. Thanks for the tip!

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Lots of choices out there but if you also do any bread making or other baking you might consider this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It'll do the bakers math for you. Also, given the heigh of the scale and placement of the screen you can still read it if using a large bowl or plate on it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Same one I've had for years! Bought it as it was Cooks Illustrated number 1 recommendation. I could not be happier with it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lots of choices out there but if you also do any bread making or other baking you might consider this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It'll do the bakers math for you. Also, given the heigh of the scale and placement of the screen you can still read it if using a large bowl or plate on it.
    I like that @HeavyG. Thanks for the info. That looks like a nice scale for the price. It appears to be $33 with free shipping on Ebay. I like the bakers math option 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    Same one I've had for years! Bought it as it was Cooks Illustrated number 1 recommendation. I could not be happier with it! 
    Good to know. Thanks RRP for the tip on Cooks Illustrated 

Minnesota
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    I have this scale which I bought from Amazon. Current price only $12.87.

• WeberWho
    Options
    78 T140E said:
    I have this scale which I bought from Amazon. Current price only $12.87.

Thanks 78T140E!

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a MyWeigh KD-7000 that was recommended to me by Little Chef. $38.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-7000-Gram-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B000EVFC8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501171967&sr=8-2&keywords=kd7000

7000 is the max weight in grams (15 lb 7oz). Measures in grams, kg, pounds or pounds/ounces. It does a good job unless I'm weighing very lite things like 3g of yeast for instance. I don't trust it for that sort of thing. It's supposed to be accurate down to 1g as I recall. Mine isn't so I use measuring spoons for the yeast and salt. You can also weigh stuff in a bread machine container if you have one. Very convenient.

The other thing I don't like is its size. Takes up a lot of room in the cabinet. I probably wouldn't buy it again, mostly because of this.

Mine is probably 5-6 years old. Had to change batteries once. Takes AAs. 

ATK has a recommendation...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSm1hoyjoyY
    The Oxo they recommend is $50 and Bed Bath and Beyond carries it. Which means 20% off with coupon.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have this scale, weighs up to 60 pounds, portable with rechargeable battery.

I paid $40, looks like the price is a bit higher now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C47IGO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a couple others in different weight ranges and some calibration weights to keep them honest.
    Options
    I have a MyWeigh KD-7000 that was recommended to me by Little Chef. $38.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-7000-Gram-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B000EVFC8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501171967&sr=8-2&keywords=kd7000

7000 is the max weight in grams (15 lb 7oz). Measures in grams, kg, pounds or pounds/ounces. It does a good job unless I'm weighing very lite things like 3g of yeast for instance. I don't trust it for that sort of thing. It's supposed to be accurate down to 1g as I recall. Mine isn't so I use measuring spoons for the yeast and salt. You can also weigh stuff in a bread machine container if you have one. Very convenient.

The other thing I don't like is its size. Takes up a lot of room in the cabinet. I probably wouldn't buy it again, mostly because of this.

Mine is probably 5-6 years old. Had to change batteries once. Takes AAs. 

ATK has a recommendation...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSm1hoyjoyY
    The Oxo they recommend is $50 and Bed Bath and Beyond carries it. Which means 20% off with coupon.
    Thanks Q for your opinion on the scale and the video!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C47IGO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a couple others in different weight ranges and some calibration weights to keep them honest.
    Thanks Nola! Those calibration weights I can see how they could come in handy down the road 

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Features to check before buying:

Does the platform come off for easy cleaning? Is there any way for food items to get between the platform and the scale?

Does the scale have an auto shutoff feature?  If so, how long before it shuts down and you lose the reading of what you are measuring?

What are the dimensions of the scale?  Will it fit into your cupboard?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lkapigian
    Options

Does the platform come off for easy cleaning? Is there any way for food items to get between the platform and the scale?

Does the scale have an auto shutoff feature?  If so, how long before it shuts down and you lose the reading of what you are measuring?

All extremely valid points, thanks for posting 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Sorry, capacity is 66 pounds. 

I also find this useful for charging refrigeration systems.  Tare the tank and watch the scale as I charge.
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Bought this one for $25 in 2009.
    Great scale, still going strong on original battery.  If it went tits up, I'd get another.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    Options

Excellent points jtcboynton. Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Focker said:
    Bought this one for $25 in 2009.
    Great scale, still going strong on original battery.  If it went tits up, I'd get another.

Thanks Focker!

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I bought this one for about $14. Light, compact, and backlit. Has worked very well for me as I have been baking a lot of bread in the past several months . Just tare it after adding each ingredient, and it's easy to  keep track of everything.

I used to have that Oxo and it didn't work very well after a year or two. The weight would bounce around with a range of 10g or more. Drove me nuts. And it wasn't backlit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Use The Force, much more accurate than the good advice above.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    Options

Sorry, capacity is 66 pounds. 

I also find this useful for charging refrigeration systems.  Tare the tank and watch the scale as I charge.
    we just count " 1 mississippi 2 mississippi when we charge systems =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Had the same one for years and can't complain. Need to get another one that weighs down to a tenth of a gram at least so I can weigh out hops for my homebrew, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings