Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork and beans

looking for a good pork and beans recipe, any body have a good one?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I do mine in a 15 PSI stovetop pressure cooker. Not much pork in there (just a little bacon), but you could always add some already egged pulled pork after the fact. After the last step, just add the meat long enough to heat. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 lb dry navy beans
    2 bay leaves
    6 C water
    1 Tbls oil

2-3 slices bacon, chopped        
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 C + 1T molasses
    1/4  C Dijon mustard (or any mustard)
    6 oz can tomato paste
    1/2 C + 1T brown sugar
    1 Tbls Worcestershire sauce        
    1 Tbls chili powder
    Pinch, ground cloves
    ½ tsp salt (I used ¼ tsp)                

1-3 tsp vinegar - I used 1 tsp after the cook

Directions

Place beans, bay, water and 1 Tbls oil in PC, bring to high pressure for 25 min. Cold  water release. Drain beans, reserving 2 cups of liquid. Place beans and 2 cups liquid back into PC.

In skillet, cook bacon till it begins to render fat, add onion and garlic and cook till they soften a little, about 3-4 minutes. Add molasses, mustard, tomato paste and spices to skillet. Stir to mix well.

Pour this over the beans, do not stir. Return to pressure for 15 min, then under running water to release. Remove bay leaves. Stir in vinegar (1 tsp).

Recipe based on… http://happierthanapiginmud.blogspot.com/2012/05/pressure-cooked-boston-baked-beans.html

A recent batch...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Thanks Carolina q! I don't have pressure cooker, but will try the rest of the recipe!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    I do mine in a 15 PSI stovetop pressure cooker. Not much pork in there (just a little bacon), but you could always add some already egged pulled pork after the fact. After the last step, just add the meat long enough to heat. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 lb dry navy beans
    2 bay leaves
    6 C water
    1 Tbls oil

2-3 slices bacon, chopped        
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 C + 1T molasses
    1/4  C Dijon mustard (or any mustard)
    6 oz can tomato paste
    1/2 C + 1T brown sugar
    1 Tbls Worcestershire sauce        
    1 Tbls chili powder
    Pinch, ground cloves
    ½ tsp salt (I used ¼ tsp)                

1-3 tsp vinegar - I used 1 tsp after the cook

Directions

Place beans, bay, water and 1 Tbls oil in PC, bring to high pressure for 25 min. Cold  water release. Drain beans, reserving 2 cups of liquid. Place beans and 2 cups liquid back into PC.

In skillet, cook bacon till it begins to render fat, add onion and garlic and cook till they soften a little, about 3-4 minutes. Add molasses, mustard, tomato paste and spices to skillet. Stir to mix well.

Pour this over the beans, do not stir. Return to pressure for 15 min, then under running water to release. Remove bay leaves. Stir in vinegar (1 tsp).

Recipe based on… http://happierthanapiginmud.blogspot.com/2012/05/pressure-cooked-boston-baked-beans.html

A recent batch...

I recently used Q's recipe with a few modifications. I added a half of a pork collar after browning it on all sides. You could substitute a piece of Butt cut off the roast.....I put it in when  you put your beans on the egg....at the start. 

A few tips from my learning (the hard way) on the egg.

You want to cook this indirect....with a plate setter (or alternative). The molasses gives it a nice flavor.....but would dial it back a little from the recipe but that is really is a personal preference. I would try 2 table spoons myself to start....you can always add later.

A couple other tips to share as I failed on my first go. When your liquid begins to tighten up to a  consistency you would expect, you need to watch it closely. You should taste the beans for doneness. If you are close to finishing, all is OK. If however your beans need to continue to cook.....add some additional liquid and give it time to reduce. In other words.....Don't let your beans scorch if they are finished cooking (tender but not mushy)......which is what I did.

This is a solid recipe....if you apply these tips when cooking on the egg. Enjoy.....I know you will. Picture of mine below. Note liquid is still loose here.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    edited July 2017
    if you can get salt pork, about a half pound picks up the pork flavor, better than bacon. float it on top covered til its good and brown, then uncover the last part of the cook to thicken. i prefer bean pots over dutch ovens for beans as well. i like amix of beans 1/3 yellow eye, 1/3 kidney, 1/3 red beans. 
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    these are rochettes beans,  lowell massachusetts diner type bean

enough water to cover the beans. the pork flavor with these shines with so few ingredients. more salt pork does not hurt
    pound of navy beans, an onion, a quarter pound salt pork, and an 1/8 cup ketchup, bake for 6 hours

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    these are the sweet style boston baked

BOSTON BAKED BEANS
    2 small onions sliced thick
    2 pounds beans,mix kidney, yellow eye, red beans (sometimes great northers). of all the beans, yellow eyes have the best flavor IMHO
    3 TBL brown sugar
    3TBL white sugar
    2tsp dry mustard
    half pound salt pork
    1 cup molasses
    1TBL sea salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1tsp baking soda

soak beans 24 hours in water. bring to a simmer and remove 2 cups water and reserve(dont reserve water after it has the baking soda added). add soda to the beans and simmer 1 half hour, turn off and soak for 1 hour. drain and toss this liguid.
    bring other ingrediants and reserved water to a boil. layer onions beans onions beans then salt pork floating on top and add the sauce.add boiled water to cover beans.
    in the egg i setup at 250 inderect with no saltpork for the first hour or so, then add the pork and cook for 5 hours covered. remove cover for last hour to brown the pork. total cook time is about 6-8 hours, make sure all ingrediants are hot before putting into the egg. after the beans are softened and fully cooked i add a little more molasses to taste if they are bland

one thing that ive found is that different water supplys make the times different. my water demands that the soak times are long and that simmering first is needed with the beans or they are hard when cooked. ive used other water sources and did not have this problem
    i use a bean pot,

fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @northGAcock, I've only tried baked beans on the egg once or twice. Not very pleased with the results. Last time was probably my fault; not scorched at all, but they were kinda dry. Different recipe too, as I recall. This recipe always seems to turn out well in my pressure cooker so I stick with that. Plus they only take about 45 minutes, and I don't even have to soak the beans!

Next time I cook a butt, I may do some beans too (separately, in the PC) and mix some of the pork in with 'em. Maybe they'll look as tasty as @fishlessman's. Fish, I never did throw a butt into a pot of beans and cook 'em together (as in the thread you linked. Your's sure looked good though! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    @northGAcock, I've only tried baked beans on the egg once or twice. Not very pleased with the results. Last time was probably my fault; not scorched at all, but they were kinda dry. Different recipe too, as I recall. This recipe always seems to turn out well in my pressure cooker so I stick with that. Plus they only take about 45 minutes, and I don't even have to soak the beans!

Next time I cook a butt, I may do some beans too (separately, in the PC) and mix some of the pork in with 'em. Maybe they'll look as tasty as @fishlessman's. Fish, I never did throw a butt into a pot of beans and cook 'em together (as in the thread you linked. Your's sure looked good though! 
    with the whole butt, its better in the egg, but mostly just use the oven with a bean pot. timing is good for me this way, prep, go fishing 6 to 8 hours, raise temps and cook til finished. dry beans are either undercooked, or too much salt

fukahwee maine

• grillman14
    grillman14 Posts: 63
    This is an award winner!!

Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Bush's Baked Beans.   Open can.  Dump into pot.  Warm.   Verify they weren't involved in the recall.   Enjoy!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    thetrim said:
    Bush's Baked Beans.   Open can.  Dump into pot.  Warm.   Verify they weren't involved in the recall.   Enjoy!
    This is extremely appropo. I laughed so hard.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky