Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control

Options
Is there any kind of graphic available that shows vent and daisy wheel settings to set temps?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There are too many variables in play for such thing. 275* for me may be 325* for you
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Biggbeee
    Biggbeee Posts: 3
    Options
    That's true. I'm just looking for a guide. I actually-used a Smoke ware cap for a while, but found the daisy wheel is much easier to use... go figure. I find myself chasing temp alot. I think my issue is with the lower vent.
  • SirSquatch
    SirSquatch Posts: 109
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    There are too many variables in play for such thing. 275* for me may be 325* for you
    Agreed. My advice is to start more closed than you think and slowly work your way open, giving the Egg plenty of time to adjust to any adjustment you make. Only adjust one thing at a time, give it 20-30min to react, adjust, react, adjust, react and so on. You will get a handle on roughly where you need to be for various temp ranges (it's never going to be exact every single time). 

Remember, it's much easier to raise the temperature on the Egg then attempt to bring it back down if you overshoot. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Agree on above. Also I have found that any adjustment I do on the daisy wheel I do on the bottom vent, and vice versa. Works real well.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    As a rule of thumb, remember this ... the lower vent is 'the gas' and the upper vent is 'the brakes'.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    used to be some good pics on it posted by grandpas grub, all lost to the photobucket in the last couple weeks.  1/32 inch open lower vent with daisy pedals the same will get you about 235 f degrees. the rest seems to become instinct with a few cooks under your belt. the other rookie mistake is that really high temps there is no daisy setting, you need to remove the daisy wheel from the dome
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    Everything above is true. I think of it as steering a boat rather than racing a slalom. Once the furniture is in and the temp stabilized, I don't chase it after putting the food on. Once it comes to temp, the thing is pretty stable. I may adjust once, but getting in the ballpark temp range is all you need. IMHO 
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    used to be some good pics on it posted by grandpas grub, all lost to the photobucket in the last couple weeks.  1/32 inch open lower vent with daisy pedals the same will get you about 235 f degrees. the rest seems to become instinct with a few cooks under your belt. the other rookie mistake is that really high temps there is no daisy setting, you need to remove the daisy wheel from the dome
    I have one of GG's pics, but that's it. No idea why I saved it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Seems like Grandpa's Grub posting is gone. Too bad, it was a good reference.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Found his 450° settings pic. I give up though... too much lookin', not enough findin'. Still, 250° and 450°... what more do you need? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Found his 450° settings pic. I give up though... too much lookin', not enough findin'. Still, 250° and 450°... what more do you need? =)

i could probably live with those two settings and open it up to let it rip to sear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I use two fingers on the lower vent and fully open daisy wheel holes, no half moon crack for 350º

I get to 450º with another finger and crack the daisy wheel 30% like the bottom left picture above.

For smoking, I bring it up to 300º, close bottom vent to credit card thick and daisy wheel shut with holes barely cracked. Wait to get a stable 230º and add lumber and pork.

Higher temps... "right about there" is good enough. Sear at 500 or 600 doesn't really make much of a difference for a 30 second per side cook.

You really have to find your own most often used temps - realize that it gets a little cooler for the same settings as your egg gunks up, so it's not an exact science. Cooking at EggFest, I've found new eggs run much hotter than I expect them to.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    @Biggbeee - you will find that there are various methods that Eggheads use to control the temperature. Use them as a guideline to get started.

It won't take long for your learning curve to level and you will get very comfortable setting and holding temps. 

Part of the fun!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    10% discount at CGS and free shipping.  

https://www.flameboss.com/Flame-Boss-300-WiFi-Smoker-Controller-with-Stand-Power-Supply

Your link is for the controller only, no fan or probes.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited July 2017
    Options
    SeanP said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    10% discount at CGS and free shipping.  

https://www.flameboss.com/Flame-Boss-300-WiFi-Smoker-Controller-with-Stand-Power-Supply

Your link is for the controller only, no fan or probes.
    Ya...but if he follows the directions and gets from CGS it will be a complete unit.  
    How's this?  10 % Discount for Vets & free shipping.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/flame-boss/products/flame-boss-300-kamado-wifi

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    I use two fingers on the lower vent and fully open daisy wheel holes, no half moon crack for 350º

I get to 450º with another finger and crack the daisy wheel 30% like the bottom left picture above.

For smoking, I bring it up to 300º, close bottom vent to credit card thick and daisy wheel shut with holes barely cracked. Wait to get a stable 230º and add lumber and pork.

Higher temps... "right about there" is good enough. Sear at 500 or 600 doesn't really make much of a difference for a 30 second per side cook.

You really have to find your own most often used temps - realize that it gets a little cooler for the same settings as your egg gunks up, so it's not an exact science. Cooking at EggFest, I've found new eggs run much hotter than I expect them to.
    Lots of variables, if you follow the advice to take it slow with small adjustments at the start, that gets you used to the temperature control, then with more experience you can hit a temperature quickly without overshoot.

Agree with the above ref 350F, on my XL daisy petals open and 2 fingers bottom vent gets there reliably.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Wind plays a big factor as well.
    McKinney, TX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    There are some great youtubes for this.