Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Too much OT?

Options

For what it's worth, I don't have an issue with OT topics if they are food related i.e. going to such and such a place. Any good BBQ joints there?  But it seems of late, the forum is being used for all kind of things non-egg food related. Changing oil on a Camry - seriously?  Any others notice the same thing?
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

I consider any food, bourbon, other adult supervisory beverages of choice, BBQ equipment related to be solidly on topic and I'm sure I could come up with more.

OT is OT and one person's OT may not be anothers.  FWIW-

BTW -fork pictures are definitely on topic. ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Dont bother me... Beats the hell out of the same ole "how do I keep temp below 300" "what lump to use" "fat side down" ... etc
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have been mindful of the Fork thing
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I'll agree with that.

I think some members jump on the bandwagon when they see the opportunity from some of the nonsense posted here. It doesn't bother me one way or another. If I don't want to read a topic, I don't open that thread. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, but I'm also new here. The EggHead Forum just seems to flow like one huge 'stream of consciousness' river of thought by all the members here. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Is that the Camry post that nobody responded to you on?
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Is it Friday yet?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Image result for dirty fork
    You stole my fork pic (that I found on the web somewhere)! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Camries are stupid cars!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Image result for dirty fork
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    slovelad said:
    And your coach is named Jimbo. #FreeShoesU
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Many of us here think of this forum as an extended family. Granted that also means a few crazy uncles, but family just the same.  That also means there is apt to be a wealth of knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including life experiences to draw upon. When I post something OT I select the Off Topic forum to begin with. Then I further label my subject by starting with OT:  and then ending with :OT. I feel the reader has been warned and need not read the thread if they are like you who gets riled seeing something off topic. ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     If it was all food and only egg'd food at that, I would frequent here much less 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    RRP said:
    Many of us here think of this forum as an extended family. Granted that also means a few crazy uncles, but family just the same.  That also means there is apt to be a wealth of knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including life experiences to draw upon. When I post something OT I select the Off Topic forum to begin with. Then I further label my subject by starting with OT:  and then ending with :OT. I feel the reader has been warned and need not read the thread if they are like you who gets riled seeing something off topic. ;)
    The desire to discuss Off-Topic items becomes even stronger when folks on a forum actually meet, whether one-on-one or during a GTG, Egg-Fest, nationwide jam session, or virgin sacrifice to the Total Eclipse (will be attending that next month in Idaho, can hardly wait!).  
    The fact we have an "OT" section says its okay with our host Mr. Buffalo, and most if not all threads are marked that way; you don't have to click on them.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    If I'm not interested in a thread, I just don't click on it again. But I'm no forum Nazi to say "No post for you!" . We are all interested in many different things and that just makes the world special.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Title is usually telling, doesn't interest you....don't click on it.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This dead horse gets dragged like clockwork through the forum too often. 

It's a legit argument to post OT stuff fin the non-OT forums.  But for chrissakes, chill the F out, FIFO.

Look at it this way:  All the "forums" in the umbrella of the eggheadforum.com are BBS systems that you can see, if you want, with one login.  95% of stuff is in the egghead forum.  Maybe some jerk posts some Ohio State Football drivel in the main egghead forum. Boohoo. It's not the end of the world, but legit to complain if your sensitivities are SEC, which is obviously superior, time-weighted. 

If you're the guy in a vehicle that complains about not wanting to see a gory accident but when there is one you're the one rubbernecking because you can't NOT look and contributing to the slow traffic, just don't **** about the slow traffic.
    Options
    The last post (thread) you made with a food pic was February 28. Put your money where your mouth is and post a cook. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options

It's a legit argument to post OT stuff fin the non-OT forums.  But for chrissakes, chill the F out, FIFO.

Look at it this way:  All the "forums" in the umbrella of the eggheadforum.com are BBS systems that you can see, if you want, with one login.  95% of stuff is in the egghead forum.  Maybe some jerk posts some Ohio State Football drivel in the main egghead forum. Boohoo. It's not the end of the world, but legit to complain if your sensitivities are SEC, which is obviously superior, time-weighted. 

If you're the guy in a vehicle that complains about not wanting to see a gory accident but when there is one you're the one rubbernecking because you can't NOT look and contributing to the slow traffic, just don't **** about the slow traffic.
    I'd say current trends say that the ACC is the bid dog now ... @nolaegghead
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Kinda funny somebody kvetching about OT posts doing it in the main forum and not the designated OT section.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You know, some of the "Off Topic" threads are some of the best threads on the forum. I have always really liked and contributed heavily to the "What are you doing right now" thread.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Fork you  =)

Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I just want to add here that I love you all. This forum has gained me some of my favorite people I know, and that's what life is about. Enjoying friends and family. If someone wants to talk about the gas mileage of his Camry, so be it. 
    Amen brother 
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

FIFO....So predictable....
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    SEC! SEC!
    New Albany, Ohio