Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips for split chicken thigh/drumsticks vs spatchcock whole chicken?

Options
Thanks again to all who offered advice for my upcoming bbq.

I just realized that this will be the first time I am cooking individual pieces of chicken on my XL (and possibly on my minimax).  And tips in terms of time/temp?  For spatchcock whole chicken, I have been happy with 400-450, raised direct.  I am thinking I might (since I am no longer cooking ribs, and have the time :)) try low n slow for the start of these then crank up the temp.

I am using Dizzy Dust rub, so I'm thinking I also need to be wary of scorching the sugar in the rub, right?  I may be cooking on two levels in my XL... Should I plan on having to rotate the pieces?

Thanks again for any and all advice!

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have been very happy doing parts raised indirect in the 350-375 range. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I was not happy when I tried low n slow with chicken... just took more time for essentially the same taste/texture.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Sirk98
    Sirk98 Posts: 79
    Options
    what temp does rub with sugar start to burn?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    @Sirk98 Chicken is my favorite thing in the world to cook, and I sure love thighs and wings. I do them both about the same temp, around 275-300 raised direct. I cook thighs about an hour skin up, and a half hour skin down. Wings for about 30 minutes side one, 20 minutes side 2.

No worries about burning your Dizzy Dust. It won't get bitter unless you make it black :)

All that said, wow....you do whole birds at 450 direct?? Doesn't that char it before it's done? In any case, best of luck!!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sirk98
    Sirk98 Posts: 79
    Options
    only done them spatchcock a couple of times, but I had a different rub with less sugar.  Did brown it a bit tho :)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you are cooking on multiple levels I would do indirect. I would go 375ish and expect them to take 45 min- 1 hour if they are separate thighs/legs. I cook dark meat to about 180 or until the skin looks right. I don't think you need to rotate top and bottom but the top may finish first, so you may want to pull them off when finished, then move bottom to top to finish up. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like 400 RAISED DIRECT for spatchcock or parts.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.