Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onlyfire is making a BGE Rotisserie

Options
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LNNVFQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cliffs:  Onlyfire recently released a large BGE specific rotisserie, similar to the Joetisserie.  It is $129.99.

Comments

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    hmmmmmmm.......

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Much better price point.
    Photos show motor mounter upside down.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Much better price point.
    Pretty sure the joes are like that. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Much better price point.
    Pretty sure the joes are like that. 
    I guess you could mount it that way to stop it from hitting the side shelves and hope for no rain.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Why try to make the Egg something it's not? I have a rotisserie for my Weber kettle. It works well, and offers a method for turning direct roasting into a quasi-indirect approach. I haven't bothered to use it since I got my Egg. My results doing higher temp indirect cooks have been better than the rotisserie on the Weber.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options

Is that sitting on a legs down plate setter? Looks like it seals the fire off. Air? Smoke?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    GrillSgt said:

Is that sitting on a legs down plate setter? Looks like it seals the fire off. Air? Smoke?
    I'm pretty sure it sits on the gasket like the Joetisserie.
    NOLA
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    If that picture is accurate I don't see any way for air or smoke from the firebox to get to the meat. Only heat.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    If that picture is accurate I don't see any way for air or smoke from the firebox to get to the meat. Only heat.
    If you look close, and it's hard because the inside is so white, you can see the back wall of the Egg and the notch of the fire ring. There is no plate setter in the photo.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I would guess that the white colour you can see is the inside of the shell of an unused Egg rather than the platesetter.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I am glad to see another option coming. Hoping to see a review of it soon. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I'm sure you guys are right. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I think I saw the face of Jesus in that notch!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have a Joetisseire for my BGE and I'll be honest since I bought a PBC, I will never do chicken on my egg again - it's amazing.

My Joetisserie now sit's in my garage (practically new) next to every un-needed item I've ever bought on a whim.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I have a Joetisseire for my BGE and I'll be honest since I bought a PBC, I will never do chicken on my egg again - it's amazing.

My Joetisserie now sit's in my garage (practically new) next to every un-needed item I've ever bought on a whim.
    @SoCalTim, what do you like about chicken on the PBC?  I have always maintained kettle chicken is boss, I love cooking chicken on my kettle indirect with a finish over the coals for crispy skin.  I have a few WSMs and have considered hanging meat like the PBC, just haven't got around to it.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Forgive the question, but what is a PBC?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Photo Egg
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Forgive the question, but what is a PBC?
    I was not familiar with the abbreviation either.
    https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Insofar as an accessory goes, and regardless of who makes it, my problem is -  I have to store the damn thing so it better be pretty pretty spectacular and used for it to earn the cubic feet of storage.  Otherwise it's, as my English friend at work calls a few other individuals, a "waste of space".

That said, depends on the person.  I've noticed some rotisserie nuts here and all the power to them.  I love rotisserie chicken, and I buy them at Costco for $4.95.  I can't make them that cheap. 

If I had a big storage area, I'd consider it, although I already have one for the gasser I never use.
    Options
    I think my wife hacked @nolaegghead 's account, cause she's already told me the logic about the Costco chickens. I know she's right, but still looks cool! 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You need to factor your impulse buys into the cost of the Costco chickens.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think my wife hacked @nolaegghead 's account, cause she's already told me the logic about the Costco chickens. I know she's right, but still looks cool! 
    HONEY, DON'T FORGET TO TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE!!! ;)
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

@SoCalTim, what do you like about chicken on the PBC?  I have always maintained kettle chicken is boss, I love cooking chicken on my kettle indirect with a finish over the coals for crispy skin.  I have a few WSMs and have considered hanging meat like the PBC, just haven't got around to it.
    A couple years ago I bought the hanging rack that Weber used to sell for the WSM's so I could hang things like chickens and ribs PBC style. Worked just as well as my neighbors PBC.

Never really thought the chickens came out of a PBC any better than some other methods. One of my favorite chicken cookers is my propane Char Broil Big Easy oilless "fryer". Quick, easy, and convenient and the lack of a smokey flavor is often a plus.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SoCalTim
    edited July 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SoCalTim said:

A couple years ago I bought the hanging rack that Weber used to sell for the WSM's so I could hang things like chickens and ribs PBC style. Worked just as well as my neighbors PBC.

Never really thought the chickens came out of a PBC any better than some other methods. One of my favorite chicken cookers is my propane Char Broil Big Easy oilless "fryer". Quick, easy, and convenient and the lack of a smokey flavor is often a plus.
    First let me say, I am a BGE guy! So much in fact, I now own three. That being said, I've done ribs the BGE way ... some hit, some miss - same for chicken.

I've had the PBC a few months now, ribs on the PBC, ain't nothing like 'em .. maybe it's the juices hitting the charcoal and sending the flavor right back up - I don't know .. but they are (not to sound melodramatic) magical.

I recently came from a camping trip in Zion, made friends with the family next to us, had some PBC ribs left over .. the family came by later in the evening and said that they were the best ribs they've ever eaten, so good I should enter a bbq contest.

Let me tell you, I prepped and rubbed the ribs no different than I do on my egg and have never gotten response.
    Let me say it again. I AM A BIG GREEN EGG GUY, but I will probably only do ribs on the PBC from now on. - btw, I also took my egg to do a couple pork butts.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @SoCalTim... Just curious, Tim, what temp do you cook the chicken (and ribs for that matter) when you use the PBC? Looks like there's no way to adjust, just light briquettes and start cooking.

Also, what's the difference between a PBC cook and raised direct on the egg? Both are cylindrical with fire down low and meat suspended above it. One suspended vertically, the other horizontally (unless you use an egg for a beer can chicken). Even more like a PBC would be a WSM, no? I don't have one, but seems similar.

I have an Egg, 2 Webers and an Akorn Jr. so I'm not a fanboy of any one cooker. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @SoCalTim The egg is far from being the perfect smoker. It's an excellent grill and smoker but not perfect. They have their limitations as every grill does. I completely hear where you're coming from. The Big Green Egg is the almost perfect grill.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @SoCalTim... Just curious, Tim, what temp do you cook the chicken (and ribs for that matter) when you use the PBC? Looks like there's no way to adjust, just light briquettes and start cooking.

Also, what's the difference between a PBC cook and raised direct on the egg? Both are cylindrical with fire down low and meat suspended above it. One suspended vertically, the other horizontally (unless you use an egg for a beer can chicken). Even more like a PBC would be a WSM, no? I don't have one, but seems similar.

I have an Egg, 2 Webers and an Akorn Jr. so I'm not a fanboy of any one cooker. 
    Hi, the PBC is 'set' to cook @ 290  .. the way this is accomplished is the size of the (4) holes in the barrel where the rebar goes thru. You can manipulate the temps by opening the lid just a bit or by blocking airflow to one or more of the holes where the rebar pass thru

The owner say's the combination between charcoal, and the swirling internal motion inside the barrel make all difference.

I can't stress enough that i am a BGE guy, but I tell you the ribs and chicken and most everything have a whole different flavor profile.

Michael, for $299 shipped, I 100% recommend this pit.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @SoCalTim The egg is far from being the perfect smoker. It's an excellent grill and smoker but not perfect. They have their limitations as every grill does. I completely hear where you're coming from. The Big Green Egg is the almost perfect grill.
    Agreed, when it comes to an overnight 225 low & slow brisket or butt cook, the PBC cannot even compete. I love my egg!