Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone been to Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza?

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
They have such great food, but I especially love their wings.  They're totally different from traditional wings, but they are seriously addicting.  I've tried to reproduce on the egg with ok success.  Wings that were different and good, but nothing quite like the taste of Anthony's.  I was wondering if anyone else has had any success with replicating on their egg.  
Thank you. 
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    We have one locally.  I tried it, and it wasn’t bad. I make way better pizza at home. Pick up Forkish’s elements of pizza   
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    How do they do their wings?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @thetrim Are the wings done in the wood oven? Any ideas about recipe?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    SciAggie said:
    Not sure about theirs, but I use to go to a wood fire pizza place that fried and then baked their wings in a wood oven, some of the best I've ever had
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    SciAggie said:

They are done in ovens very similar to that owned by a certain Aggie friend of mine, but Anthony's use anthracite coal in their ovens.   They are very charred and crispy.  Not quite and charred and crispy as @Mickey likes, but they are great.  There are many recipes online (I haven't found one quite what I was looking for), but they are marinated in some mix of oil and herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc.).  They then top them with caramelized onions, and served with focaccia bread. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Yes, I love their wings! You're correct in that they are totally different than a traditional deep fried Buffalo wing. If you find a copycat recipe to your liking it would be much appreciated if you share. 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram