Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite rubs

looking for everyone's favorite and must have rubs and seasonings to have in arsenal. I'm willing to make online orders if necessary as well. 

Thanks!

Comments

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Everything from Meatchurch and Dizzy Pig and then some from Bone Sucking Sauce. 
    O-Town, FL

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I have become partial to Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish lately. Great on lamb, good on chicken. 
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Meatchurch,Dizzypig,& bone sucking sauce.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrillSgt
    It's not Friday but I might as well start it up. I find most Dizzy P rubs to be overly salty. I was especially disappointed in the Jerk, I haven't ever made one that bad. Swamp Venom and Tsunami Spin are pretty good. I bought a big order on special. Most of them have been tried only once.
  • I love the Lane's BBQ rubs as well as Dizzy Pig and Meatchurch. 
  • wbthomas
    wbthomas Posts: 21
    Meatchurch here and just got my first two bottles of Dizzy Pig and will be keeping it stocked.  Also big fan of Strawberry's BBQ seasoning.  I've never tried their steak seasoning. 

http://www.strawsbbq.com/products/seasoning.html

Little Rock, AR
    Large BGE
    MM
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    There are a lot of great commercial rubs out there and most allcontain the same ingredients @ different amounts - Most of what is in a rub we all ready have in our pantry Salt, pepper , garlic and onion powder cayenne etc.  It is fun to make your own
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    My new favorite for ribs is killer hogs, the BBQ rub.  Also for pork Texas bbq rubs grand champion. 
    Beef- Cash cow mixed with holy cow. Or Texas bbq rubs brisket blend. 

Really no favorite for chicken. I have so many ribs I try so many different ones on chicken.  
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    GrillSgt said:
    It's not Friday but I might as well start it up. I find most Dizzy P rubs to be overly salty. I was especially disappointed in the Jerk, I haven't ever made one that bad. Swamp Venom and Tsunami Spin are pretty good. I bought a big order on special. Most of them have been tried only once.
    It's fascinating how we all have different tastes.  DP's Jamaican Firewalk is one of my very favorite rubs, but obviously that doesn't mean you need to like it.  We're all different.  I've made a dry jerk rub from a jerk cookbook I bought, years ago, written by a woman from Jamaica, and I like it, but honestly I think I like Jamaican Firewalk even better.  One thing I've often done with it that my wife loves isn't even on the Egg:  I'll rub boneless, skinless chicken breasts with Jamaican Firewalk and saute them till brown, then pour in 1/4" or less of liquid, maybe white wine, maybe apple juice, and cover and very gently simmer them till done by Thermapen, take the breasts out and quickly boil the liquid down into a bit of sauce.  Easy, quick, really good, and the Jamaican Firewalk is a big part of what makes it good.  I've also done that with Swamp Venom and that's good, too.  I like a bunch of DP rubs.  I also like several home-made ones.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Oh, add a little Coffee Rub to that. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrillSgt
    You're correct about different tastes. Here's Bobby Flay's jerk seasoning. It's my go to. 

• 2 tablespoons ground coriander
    • 2 tablespoons ground ginger
    • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    • 1 tablespoon onion powder
    • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
    • 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
    • 2 teaspoons dry thyme
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon allspice
    • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    We go through quite a bit of Meat Church and Dizzy Pig. MC Holy Cow is my go to for beef more often than not. DP Red Eye Express is good on everything. Use plenty of other rubs from those two, but they're the two we use most often. 

Havent found one one I didn't like.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I have some boneless chicken breasts marinating in Walkerswood Jerk for tonight's dinner.  I generally find boneless, skinless breasts boring (except homemade chicken parm) - the Walkerswood will relieve the boredom.

I generally make my own rubs. I will probably try some rubs recommended here, but I've never found one I "needed" to have again.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I just coat it with brown sugar/evoo, and  about 30 mins to finish I drizzel on some honey.  Then we can add whatever sause we like.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oakridge is excellent. DP is pretty good. I've only had Honey Hog from Meat Church and it's nothing to write home about. A whole bunch of sweet up front with a salt back end.

Rub opinions are like ****, everybody has one.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I really like the Plowboys Yardbird that @tspud1 sent with the exchange packet.  My go to for chicken before then was FL Everglades Chicken & Fish, but I think my crew likes the Plowboys more.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    I really like Dizzy Pig's Salt Free Dizzy Dust.  I like to dry brine chicken and a lot of commercial rubs are very heavy on the salt which makes it much easier to end up with an overly salty meal. Plus you aren't spending money on half the bottle being filled with salt like some other brands.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Plow Boys for chicken.

DP swamp venom, Chupacabra and Rasta Jos for ribs.

Oakridge Carne Croasta for tri tips and steaks.
    XL BGE
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Penzey's Galena Street rub. Penzey's Northwood seasoning. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Plowboys Yardbird - great on pork also
    Bad Byrons Butt Rub
    Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin
    Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head
    Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning
    McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
    McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning
    Badia Fajita Seasoning

Jacksonville FL
  • GrillSgt
    DP Pineapple is interesting. I like it on pork chops along with Swamp Venom and extra cayenne. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    GrillSgt said:
    DP Pineapple is interesting. I like it on pork chops along with Swamp Venom and extra cayenne. 
    DP pineapple is good with teriyaki glazed chicken thighs. 
  • Theophan
    GrillSgt said:
    You're correct about different tastes. Here's Bobby Flay's jerk seasoning. It's my go to. ...
    Looks great!  I've saved it, thanks!

I have some boneless chicken breasts marinating in Walkerswood Jerk for tonight's dinner.  I generally find boneless, skinless breasts boring (except homemade chicken parm) - the Walkerswood will relieve the boredom.

I generally make my own rubs. I will probably try some rubs recommended here, but I've never found one I "needed" to have again.
    I like Walkerswood's jerk paste, but it's not as allspice-sweet as my homemade marinade, so I always mix in some extra allspice when I use it.  It's a LOT easier than making it from scratch, not as good, but still pretty good.

But in case you're interested, here's a simple but really good rub for chicken that I really like and it's my wife's absolute all-time favorite grilled chicken.  It mostly tastes of brown sugar and coriander, a combination that never would have occurred to me, but it's REALLY good.  It's from Melissa Clark on the NY Times.  She says one of the problems with grilling chicken breasts is the uneven thickness, parts of it getting more done and parts less done.  So she recommends pounding them to an even 1/2" thickness, using a rub to jazz up the flavor, and grilling them hot and fast.  Works for us!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Teefus said:
    Penzey's Galena Street rub. Penzey's Northwood seasoning. 
    I almost forgot about Galena Street. That stuff is amazing. Great heat level and depth of flavor.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Theophan said:
    GrillSgt said:
    You're correct about different tastes. Here's Bobby Flay's jerk seasoning. It's my go to. ...
    Looks great!  I've saved it, thanks!

I like Walkerswood's jerk paste, but it's not as allspice-sweet as my homemade marinade, so I always mix in some extra allspice when I use it.  It's a LOT easier than making it from scratch, not as good, but still pretty good.

But in case you're interested, here's a simple but really good rub for chicken that I really like and it's my wife's absolute all-time favorite grilled chicken.  It mostly tastes of brown sugar and coriander, a combination that never would have occurred to me, but it's REALLY good.  It's from Melissa Clark on the NY Times.  She says one of the problems with grilling chicken breasts is the uneven thickness, parts of it getting more done and parts less done.  So she recommends pounding them to an even 1/2" thickness, using a rub to jazz up the flavor, and grilling them hot and fast.  Works for us!
    To HELL with all that work.  SV Chicken great 60-75 mins at 140.  Finish on the egg at high heat for 60-75 sec per side, and you'll never make chicken breast any other way.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Theophan
    thetrim said:
    To HELL with all that work.  SV Chicken great 60-75 mins at 140.  Finish on the egg at high heat for 60-75 sec per side, and you'll never make chicken breast any other way.  
    This is SO dumb I can't believe I'm admitting it, but I broke down and bought an Anova unit months ago, haven't used it, yet!  Yeah.  I know.  Old guy isn't used to change, I guess.  I'll get around to it, one of these day.

But keeping it on the topic of rubs, where does a rub fit into your method?  Do you put a rub on during the SV?  If so, the usual amount?  Or do you only season it just before the sear?