Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke and trees

Anyone know if I am going to kill off this tree this close to the egg?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Didn't know people had issues with smoke and trees. I could see the heat maybe having some effect....but smoke? At any rate....I believe you are in good shape there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Nope. I have a couple near my egg. All good. 
    The house is the real concern. Especially with high heat cooks or just grease splatter. 
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    What's the reasoning on that? I wouldn't think any embers would pop as soon as the lids shut and I am there the whole time at start. Maybe I am not thinking something out.
  • setdahook
    I agree on high heat but then I love it but really font do much high heat cooks.
  • setdahook
    Probably better safe than sorry though point taken.
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    When u open it up that heat comes out further than u think.  It will warp the siding (or peel the paint if that wood) with he high heat. I've seen it happen. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    setdahook said:
    What's the reasoning on that? I wouldn't think any embers would pop as soon as the lids shut and I am there the whole time at start. Maybe I am not thinking something out.

At the very least, you will have black smudges on your siding (from opening your dome). At worst, you will lose your house like @Nature Boy did.

Glad to see that it's not on a wooden deck anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• setdahook
    It's on the move soon as I am done with the pork butts. Glad theres brighter people than me around.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    setdahook said:
    But are you there the whole time during the cook and after until the fire is out and the egg has cooled? Probably went inside to eat dinner?  From a fire safety view you should think not just about what is happening under normal conditions but also under the abnormal.  It doesn't happen often but the ceramic could crack and dump a load of hot coals.  What happens then? Wood house? Wood deck?  Need to balance the possible consequences with how you setup and use your egg.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It doesn't happen often but the ceramic could crack and dump a load of hot coals.  What happens then? Wood house? Wood deck?  Need to balance the possible consequences with how you setup and use your egg.
    Nah, that could never happen! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• setdahook
    It's on the move soon as I am done with the pork butts. Glad theres brighter people than me around.