Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how long for this crappy brisket?

Options
pikeman
pikeman Posts: 6
I bought a brisket to fit on my large egg and by the time I was done trimming the fat from it at least 50% of it was gone. It's a terrible piece of meat. So now I have this 13-14 inch hunk o' meat that isn't much more than an inch thick. I am wondering if it's even thick enough to bother with a probe. All my test briskets were in the 5lb range and had enough mass to carry the probe and were successful 3-4 hour efforts.
I can't believe this is going to take very long to finish, but have no idea when to begin with the intention of eating it around 5:30PM. Maybe 2PM? And at a lower temp as well. I'm thinking 250-260 . . .
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Just curious, do you have a pic of it? From your description of it, I'm dying to see it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Weigh it.  About 1.5 hrs/lb at 275F.  Plus or minus.  You should trim to 1/4" fat.  But it's done when it's done, and that's when you can slide a skewer or a temp probe into any part of the flat and it should have almost no resistance.
    Options
    For the next round-you can get almost any sized brisket on a LBGE (as long as it's not 30+lbs from @SGH) by draping over a brick until shrinkage enables it to lie flat on the grid.  Just make sure to foil protect any section outside your heat deflector. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Need pics for help. Preferably before and after trim. I am not the expert as some on here but have done close to 100 briskets of all grades and never had to trim like that. You don't want to remove all fat
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • pikeman
    pikeman Posts: 6
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just curious, do you have a pic of it? From your description of it, I'm dying to see it. 
    No pics. I went through a dozen packages in the case and got a monstrosity. I should have taken a picture!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options