Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinion on SRF Packer please...

After doing a number of briskets and getting to the point where I think I can do them justice, I decided to splurge on a SRF. The problem is the dimensions don't quite look like what I am accustomed to. The flat looks unusually wide and well...flat, less than an inch thick about 4" up into the center section. I'm far from an expert but to me it looks like I will have a large section of flat that will not be useable. 

Maybe I'm being too picky given the cost, so I wanted to ge some opinions. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Thanks!

Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,938
    I've had a few from them that have had weird flat shapes.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  These things are so marbled with fat it almost doesn't matter.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    +1 what John said.  Expect it to cook faster than you expect.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I heard they make great burgers if you grind them up
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    The cow drives the cook and before that the cut.  There is no part of a SRF brisket that is unusable if you don't hose the cook.  You can foil protect the thinner part for a portion of the cook and I always run fat down with the point to the back as that is the hottest area of my BGE.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Lousubcap is a man among boys in the brisket world - heed his advice.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    If you're worried, send it to me. I'll dispose of it properly. 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Thanks for the help, will give it a go.
    Highland, MI

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Use the over cooked end for burnt ends, chili, nachos, etc. It is worth the purchase. Take no prisoners. 
    Which reminds me, I need to stock up. I cooked my last SRF. I have 3 primes waiting, in the freezer, but no more SRFs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    @Meeeshigan22 - at the risk of the obvious, the cook process is the same for all packers regardless of pedigree.  Make sure you have a good sized air-gapped drip pan as there will be quite a bit of rendering.  Just wait for the feel in the thick part of the flat and you will be justly rewarded.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Lou is spot on, as usual.  However, as your first SRF waygu brisket, anticipate a shorter time to temp/probe like buttah than primes or choices in the past.  Last SRF black I did friday night took just over 30 minutes per pound at 260.  And every bit of the flat wast moist and got gobbled up.  And yes, my thermo is calibrated.  You're in for a real treat.
  • lousubcap
    @bgebrent - dang-I have seen some SRF run around 0.7 hrs/lb at about 270*F on the dome but have never seen that pace at that temp.  Great save and follow-on banquet.  Friggin cow  ;)
  • bgebrent
    Friggin cow drives the cook.  Don't know where I heard that. ;)
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    You guys are the best, appreciate the input. All of my prime brisket cooks have been shorter than expectected. Will keep the probe early on this one as well.

have a good cooler, happy to let it rest!
    Highland, MI