Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Salmon - Crowdsourcing Experience !

Hi folks
I recently bought an A-Maze-N pellet smoker and intend to make home made cold smoked salmon this weekend. Thinking about setting the tray up to burn for 12hrs with a big tray of ice under the plate setter, and an overnight cured side of salmon on the grate on top .... figuring I probably will needn't to replenish the ice from time to time ...

anyone tried this who can give me the benefit of their experience ? Thx folks ! 

Comments

• When I cold smoke cheese I put the APS below the plate setter and a pan of ice on top. 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I wait for snow!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's kinda something you want to do in the winter as the salmon (presumably you're curing it first) really needs to stay below 70F.  You can get away with it being below 90F, but you'll start noticing texture changes.
    Thanks all - I was thinking about trying to ice down the egg in advance and regularly replenishing the ice tray during the smoke as it's going to be around 80. Or maybe I'll try and run it overnight given it will be cooler then ...... 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    No idea where you live, but all my cold smoking is done in the winter. I smoke a lot of cheese, then freeze it for enjoying the rest of the year. Haven't tried cold smoking salmon, but I plan to do it one of these days. Definitely in the winter, though.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just remember it will never get cooler than ambient.  If you can run the a-maze-n-smoker in a separate box or egg and pipe the smoke to where your fish are with a 4" dryer duct, you'll stay at ambient. 

I had a cold smoker that had a 5000 btu AC in it so I could keep the food around 55-60F on the hottest of Louisiana days.
  • I've cold smoked salmon w/ an Amaz-N rig during the winter in a home made plywood smoker. But it'll be hard to keep it below 90, let alone 70 during the summer, no matter what your setup. I agree w @nolaegghead that the texture will start to change if it is much warmer than 'room temp'.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC