Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Akorn Jr or Blackstone 28 inch - OT

So i have some birthday bucks to waste away and I'm currently in this delima. Akorn Jr for more cooking and smoking capacity or the blackstone for just more cooking capacity. I dont think i can wrong with either one but damn this is a hard decision. The limited space on my covered patio may force me to the Akorn but figured i would poll the forum.

What would you do?

Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I'm team blackstone.  its a great companion to the egg to help round out your outdoor kitchen
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • I keep my Blackstone in the garage. Keeps it in good shape out of the elements, and my garage always smells like bacon. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Well you already have a grill/smoker, I would go with the Blackstone for the deck. If you're thinking of a traveling grill/smoker that you can also use on the deck go with the akorn.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Black stone. See @tarheelmatt for exclusive link
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Easy decision, BS.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    I keep my Blackstone in the garage. Keeps it in good shape out of the elements, and my garage always smells like bacon. 
    Same here.  Parking it at the end of the garage helps also with wind and the elements.....use an old bed sheet for a cover.

My pizza oven has a garage stall as well.  Pizzas are a go in the winter with the door half-open.  I love BS products, but they aren't the best quality, the Midwest climate would punish them quickly. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Not real worked up about getting a Blackstone.
    I do have an Acorn Jr, which is a very good cooker and is super portable, if that is of interest to you.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    jaydub58 said:
    I do have an Acorn Jr, which is a very good cooker and is super portable, if that is of interest to you.
    That's the way I'm leaning so I can take it camping. 
    Franklin, Tn

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    jaydub58 said:
    That's the way I'm leaning so I can take it camping. 
    I've taken the black stone camping :) should've seen the other campers when I fired up a pound of bacon bright and early
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Hands down.... Blackstone 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited June 2017
    Speaking of Blackstones, I have a 36" stainless steel Blackstone brand new in box that I'd be willing to part with for $275. 

• So i have some birthday bucks to waste away and I'm currently in this delima. Akorn Jr for more cooking and smoking capacity or the blackstone for just more cooking capacity. I dont think i can wrong with either one but damn this is a hard decision. The limited space on my covered patio may force me to the Akorn but figured i would poll the forum.

What would you do?

I may be late to the party. I bought the AJ for Father's Day. I like it. Tough temp control. Used 6 times and added lump only on the 6th cook. For my wife and I it's perfect. 

I bought the BS 28 2 days ago for $99. And absolutely love it. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If I had to pick only 1. I'd go find the BS for $99. It's a completely different cook. Naturally. But some great tasty food. BLT's Thursday, Smash burgers Last night and Bacon and eggs this morning. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I have not tried it, but looks like B B and Beyond can score you a deal on the blackstone 28".  It's on sale for $150'ish, and I assume you can stack a 20% coupon on top of that.  Free shipping.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Well due to my patio space i wont be getting a free standing BS anytime soon. Couldnt justify it. So im going to be patient and wait for that 22in table top version to hit amazon since i have an amazon gift card. 
    Franklin, Tn