Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ Gasket on an Egg

Options
Once again I am replacing my BGE gasket. It still cooks fine but it leaks and doesn't hold temps quite as well as a new one. I loooked at new Kamado Joe with the latch, and the gasket looks like it it would work far better than the Egg replacement. However, I think it will not work well without a latch, but I think a heavy weight that can be taken off when lifting the lid will suffice. Anyone out there using the new gasket? Any thoughts about the weight idea or how to install a latch? Help is much appreciated. 

Comments

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    You are a brave man. Here is the short summary of responses you're going to get:

1)"you're doing something wrong, I haven't replaced my gasket in 65 years"
    2)"get a Rutland gasket"
    3)"KJ doesn't know what they are doing, the only reason they have a latch is because they don't know how to make their grills seal without one"

My opinion: I think the KJ gasket would work, there is probably enough weight in the lid to compress it enough. However you are adding quite a bit of thickness to the gasket so you may have to realign your lid.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I replaced my gasket once. Almost 8 years ago. No plans to do it again any time soon. Rutland. No weights, no latch. No problem.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Get with @RRP and get a Rutland gasket. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I think the latch is for the weightless hinge.  I was at the KJ roadshow and the lid was just that, weightless!  Without the latch, I doubt you'll get a good seal.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    My KJ classic ceramic is much thicker than my lbge. I think a KJ gasket would be too wide unless you wanted to trim it. On their new gasket I don't think trimming would be wise. 
    VA Beach
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just took my nomex gasket off of the medium that I put in 5 + years ago. It didn't fail, but the adhesive did. Now that its off, I'm putting a Rutland on it. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You're doing something wrong, I haven't replaced my gasket in 65 years.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    KJ doesn't know what they are doing, the only reason they have a latch is because they don't know how to make their grills seal without one
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Brason said:
    KJ doesn't know what they are doing, the only reason they have a latch is because they don't know how to make their grills seal without one
    By your standard I guess Komodo Kamado doesn't know what they are doing either.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Get a Rutland gasket!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Brason said:
    By your standard I guess Komodo Kamado doesn't know what they are doing either.
    I think that was a joke =)  Read @tenpenny_05 #3
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I kinda doubt anyone could say Komodo doesn't know what they are doing. They make a sweet kamado. 
    Snellville, GA

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have heard Kamado is working on a new style replacement gasket for the old style Kamado's. I think they are working on an adhesive the end user can manage.
    Apparently what ever they use on the newer model at the factory is not as simple as it looks. Or it is the thickness issue that they are working on. Not sure but they are working on it.  
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    R U T L A N D............and be done with it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You're doing something wrong, I haven't replaced my gasket in 65 years.
    That's pitiful. I got 76 out of mine.