Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's Cooking Late-Nite W/Me?

Eggvis
Eggvis Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm starting a brisket around 12am due to circumstances beyond my control. So if anyone who also lacks Le Guru is pulling an all niter, let me know. Could use the company![p]Paul

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Eggvis,
    That would be me!
    Have some nice cold ones to keep ya company also!
    ST

• You know it. But I'll be more along the lines of sleeping a couple hours, check the status, sleep a couple hours, check the status...[p]Butt Diary:[p]In The Beginning...[p]Just a hair under 17 lbs of pork butt from Sam's Club. Even though this is my first one, about 25 people will be (hopefully) dining on some delicious swine at our housewarming party Sunday afternoon. Combed through the archives, posted a couple questions, and e-mailed the Naked Whiz. I'm feeling confident. Got up Saturday morning and rubbed 'em with Gary's Lone Star Dry Rub (being a big believer in the simpler recipes). It smells delicious.[p]
    8:40 - I had already started up the Egg (with plenty of charcoal and some hickory chips) and was waiting for the temp to stabilize at 250. Plate setter, drip pan and meat all ready to go. Unwrapped the new Weber digital thermometer I got for graduation (UGA Law, for the curious) last month. Dissapointed. This sleek looking thermometer with wireless monitor and alarm for when you have reached the target temperature...doesn't let you set the target temperature (instead it has pre-programmed temps for different meats and different levels of doneness). Although it reads up to 200 degrees, the highest pre-set temp is 180. Oh well, at least I'll get the alarm when it's getting close. [p]It looks like rain...although I'm sure the Egg will be fine I don't like to see it.[p]8:47 - crisis! While closing the lid after loading the pork, the probe from my thermometer knocked the BGE thermometer, causing the clip to fall (somehow) around the plate setter, through the grate and onto the coals. Through the smoke, I remove all the pieces to get it out, reattach the BGE thermometer, and reload all the components.[p]Open first beer.[p]9:15 - Temp holding steady at 250 with the bottom open an inch, and the daisy wheel open just a touch.[p][p]

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Kegerator.jpg
    <p />Eggvis,[p]I'm bushed, but I'm with you in spirit.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    DaveG (aka 1st butt),[p]I think I have one of those wireless doodads. It will go off at 180, 185, 190, & 195. [p]I pull the butts off at 195 and wrap in foil and put in a pre-heated cooler. Works for me every time.[p]Good luck tonight. Don't let it go out.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    343%3C979923232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D85%3C%3D%3B77%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3C%3B9665%3B6ot1lsi
    <p />Eggvis,[p]I'm with you Eggvis. Got an enormous brisket on the bottom rack with a butt on the top rack. Put them on about 6:00 p.m. They'll take 20-24 hours. Egg is rock steady at 224 degrees. I've got the remote thermometer in the brisket, which is already up to 140. I think this hunk of cow chest will plateau for at least 6 hours, so I should be fine for a nice Sunday dinner. Having half the neighborhood over. I'll be cooking ABT's and some sweet sausage after I wrap the meat in foil and a towel and place it into a warm cooler. Meanwhile, I'm chillin' some sweet tea and mixing up a couple of sauces from the Elder Ward recipe. I used to favor the Piedmont, but have come to like the Traditional juice just as much. Damn I'm getting hungry already.
  • BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    GrillMeister,[p]I want one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]It's on my Monday "TO DO" list

• Daddyo
    DaveG (aka 1st butt),[p]Keep an eye on those temps Dave. With the bottom open an inch you can hold 350 degrees. All your temperature regulation is coming from the Daisy wheel right now.[p]I've got my vent open the thickness of a dime and I'm holding 224. If your temp climbs, shut down the vent some.

• GrillMeister
    BYC39,[p]Costco is selling them. I love Costco. Too bad they don't have Big Green Eggs.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BYC39
    Daddyo,[p]I agree....I would darn near shut the lower vent down to where you can barely insert the flat end of the ash tool ...aka a dime

• BYC39
    GrillMeister,[p]How long is the keg good for? There are what??...about a 125-16 ounce cups in a keg so at the rate of 4 a day a keg would last a month.....is the beer still good after a month??

• GrillMeister
    Kegerator-Inside.jpg
    <p />BYC39,[p]Here's a shot of the inside. This is a 1/2 barrel keg.[p]1/2 Barrel=15.5 Gallons or 1984 Fluid Ounces.[p]124 Pints 16-oz. glasses
    165 12-oz. glasses
    198 10-oz. glasses[p]1/4 Barrel=7.75 Gallons or 992 Fluid Ounces.[p]My keg is going on 10 days. If you keep the beer cold (mine is at 36 degrees) and use CO2 to drive the dispensing (as in this kegerator from Costco), a keg will last 4 months or more with minimal or no noticeable flavor change and it won't go flat.[p]What a Fathers Day gift! Thanks Mrs. GrillMeister![p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Ha! Wish I had read those a little earlier...[p]9:55 - Temp spike. Went out to check and it was 275. Tapped the bottom vent closed a little bit, and 10 minutes later it was pushing 300. Tapped it closed a little further and completely closed the daisy wheel. 10 minutes later it was over 300. Tapped it a little more so now daisy wheel is completely closed, bottom vent is 1/16" to 1/8". Never realized how type A I am before tonight.[p]Cracked a fresh beer. Hopefully 10 more minutes and the temp will be going in the right direction (down!)
  • BYC39
    GrillMeister,[p]I'm there.....To Costco I go on Sunday!!!!!!!!

• BYC39
    DaveG,[p]You'll be fine....crack another cold one....better yat mmet you at costco on Sunday for the keg tap dispenser

• GrillMeister
    BYC39,[p]Cool. $449 for everything but beer & CO2. Same thing at Best Buy is $599.[p]I paid about $9 to have the 5# CO2 cylinder filled.[p]It's a Haier BrewMaster. Email me if you have questions.[p]Post pictures!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • 11:37 - Egg still slowly moving in the right direction, has fallen to 275. Internal temp is already 153. I know it's got a few hours of rendering around 180, but I really didn't expect it to be this high already. Guess I don't have to worry about too much time in the danger zone =)
  • Daddyo
    DaveG,[p]Don't worry about time. It will plateau for hours and hours. You won't be ready to eat that thing until tomorrow afternoon if you get your temp down to the 225 range. I leave mine alone if it is between 200 and 240. If it gets done a little early, wrap it in foil and a beach towel and put it in a cooler. A butt will stay hot, not warm, hot, for hours. Don't pull it until you are ready to eat.
  • BYC39
    Daddyo,[p]I agree....let those bad boys sit and cool down until you can pull with your own hands and are ready to eat...I put two 8 pounders on at 6 PM Friday night and yanked them at noon Saturday (this) morning...I loosley covered with foil and did not pull them until about 3 this Saturday afternoon....BLISS!!!!!!![p]Who need bear claws.........not me..

• Sounds like good advice. Down to 250, 160 internal and starting to smell great. Not sure I can wait until tomorrow afternoon.
  • So, what's your opinion on basting for the end of the cook? I've got some home-made kitchen sink sauce (as in "everything but the...") that I froze after ribs last time that was pretty good. But pork seems to be naturally flavorful and delicious...and if people are putting sauces on their sandwich anyway, maybe I would be better off using that as an alternative sandwich sauce instead of a basting sauce?[p]
  • Eggvis
    Daddyo,[p]Sounds like you have things well under control...hopin to upload a pic in a few[p]
    Paul

• Eggvis
    Smokin' Todd,[p] Well, it's 3:00am and the grate temp is holding at 225....dome at 240...meat at 148. Put on egg at 1:00am....cookin quick if you ask me....
    The dome/grate temp has'nt risen above 250 or so all night....have drip pan w/liquid under it...

• Daddyo
    DaveG,
    I never mop pork. The bark (crust) that forms during a cook is very good without mopping.

• Daddyo,[p]Sounds good! Like I said, I'm all about avoiding the unnecessary steps.[p]2:00 - Egg at 250, 171 internal and I'm going to bed.[p]3:00 - Awakened by the wife getting in bed. She tells me the egg is at 225-250, 169 internal. Despite the internal temp drop I'm not worried. Figure this is part of the rendering process.[p]4:30 - Stupid alarm. Egg is chugging along at 225, internal temp down to 167. It's raining, I'm going back to bed.[p]7:15 - Internal at 166. Came out and the egg was down to around 200, and I had lost my probe signal. Messed with that
    until it came back online, opened her up a bit to try to get the fire restarted (but only for a little while).
    At least the rain stopped