Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip and smashed red potatoes

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
shamelessly copied from @Dyal_SC post from a month or so ago.

reverse seared tri-tip over roasting potatoes in a cast iron pan 

After potatoes and tri tip came to temp, the potatoes were smashed and slightly charred before the  tri-tip was seared

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Looks perfect and there's nothing wrong with copying another Egghead's cook.   I try to use every drop of the juices for ajus. What are you using for a heat deflector beneath your CI skillet?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • johnnyp
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    Looks perfect and there's nothing wrong with copying another Egghead's cook.   I try to use every drop of the juices for ajus. What are you using for a heat deflector beneath your CI skillet?
    Thanks.

Pizza stone on a woo 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beautiimus. Love the tritip and the taters. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Awesome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job JohnnyP, looks great!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    I just ate dinner but yet I'm suddenly hungry again 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Looks awesome!  Sorry I'm just now seeing this. Now I want tri tip again. ;)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks awesome!  Sorry I'm just now seeing this. Now I want tri tip again. ;)
    Your allergies been filling your eyes with tears....and unable to see post? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Great cook.  I may have to do that next week at my in-laws.  And there is definitely no shame in copying Dyal.  That's one of the best things one can do around here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Like they say..."Imitation is the biggest form of flattery".  Now please tell me how you did the taters so I can flatter you. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • johnnyp
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Like they say..."Imitation is the biggest form of flattery".  Now please tell me how you did the taters so I can flatter you. 

Nothing fancy. Seasoned them with a little Lawry's.

Roasted them in the cast iron pan under the tri-tip to catch the juices.  Once they started getting soft, but before they were done, I used a spatula to smash them.  After adding a little butter to the pan, I added a little more Lawry's and let them go until the underside got a little crispy.  Not pretty, but tasty

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    You nailed that one brother....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • wbthomas
    wbthomas Posts: 21
    Options
    Excellent looking cook. Will be copying in the near future. 
    Little Rock, AR
    Large BGE
    MM
  • MSUladyegghead
    Options
    Want to cook a tri tip.  Wonder why they are so hard to find in the South?  Maybe the price or are they package with a different name?
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Want to cook a tri tip.  Wonder why they are so hard to find in the South?  Maybe the price or are they package with a different name?
    Publix has them.  The butchers there usually slice them into steaks though. I gotta ask them in advance to leave them whole. They come cryovaked in 4 packs, but they will pull just one out for you if you ask. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Have you tried CostCo?   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • MSUladyegghead
    Options
    @SSQUAL612 No Costco yet.  They are trying to open one here  can't wait to buy Prime
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks FABULOUS!
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Publix has them.  The butchers there usually slice them into steaks though. I gotta ask them in advance to leave them whole. They come cryovaked in 4 packs, but they will pull just one out for you if you ask. 
     I can only find them at Trader Joe's, try there if you don't have a publix. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Well played.  Meat and potatoes is my kinda meal.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

NO Tri Tip at my local Costco in Atlanta.  The Meat Mgr there told me they haven't carried it there in over two years....so, some Costco's carry them and some don't, so apparently for Costco, it is a regional thing.  Also, my local Restaurant Depot does not carry them either.  I have found them at a semi-local Farmer's Market about 20 miles from the house.  Bought two of them today!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Been so wanting to do those potatoes. Looks Killer !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome job!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Smash potatoes are amazing. Thanks for the bump on the thread, will make these this weekend!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Looks great! What time and temp on the tri tip? 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Your cook made my mouth water!
    Still gotta try 

Crash Hot Potatoes

pioneer woman's technique but adaptable for the BGE

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    EagleIII said:

NO Tri Tip at my local Costco in Atlanta.  The Meat Mgr there told me they haven't carried it there in over two years....so, some Costco's carry them and some don't, so apparently for Costco, it is a regional thing.  Also, my local Restaurant Depot does not carry them either.  I have found them at a semi-local Farmer's Market about 20 miles from the house.  Bought two of them today!

Costco has an online feedback form. I emailed them multiple times in the last month because they had quit carrying prime packer briskets. Not sure if my emails helped or not but they had them again this weekend. May be worth a try if you can’t get them at the farmers market. 
  • tamck1
    Options
    EagleIII said:

When Publix has sirloin on sale, they will often have tri-tip. If you dont see it in the meat counter, ask the butcher. I’ve had good luck getting them to butcher one out from the entire sirloin (Roswell Rd Publix)
    L and MM BGEs with JJGeorge tables, Mini BGE with carrier, other charcoal and pellet smokers/grills too numerous to count.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nicely done, sir. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.