Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Couple of Steaks for a Friend

Cashfan
Cashfan Posts: 416
Yesterday I had to say goodbye to my 13yr old blue heeler named Petey. His body was tired, though his mind, attitude and appetite were great. He was already spoiled, but in the last week I spoiled him even more. I pretty much gave him all his favorite food and lots of it. He had venison sausage, and steak everyday, among other good food.

Thursday I reverse seared him a couple of t-bones, he always loved the bone, and didn't mind the meat.

Yesterday I took him for a nice ride in the truck and fed him some of the steak along the way. Riding and eating were his two favorite things to do. He went with me all the time, and spent many hours over the years jumping up and down in the back and sticking his head out the window.

A friend of mine has a wife that is an exceptional artist. She drew this picture of Petey for me from a photo I had. 

I now have a huge void in my life, but I know he is longer in pain and suffering. He was a great companion, the most loyal and faithful dog I've ever had. 

I needed to vent and share a little bit tonight. Thanks for understanding.

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Petey was a handsome fellow. Sorry for your loss.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Sorry for your loss. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lucky dog to have such a great owner. Very sorry for your loss. It's like losing a family member.
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Always a tough road but you did it right. You had his best interests at the forefront.  I will offer the following link as perhaps some solace:  https://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cashfan
    Petey was a handsome fellow. Sorry for your loss.
    He was. By brother always called him the "Old Handsome Devil"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Condolences. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Cashfan
    Thanks for posting that. It's hard to that right now....
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Sorry for your loss, I have been there. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited June 2017
    I am so sorry for your loss.  I too know how hard it is to lose a super great and loyal friend.  We have to remember that it is us  being selfish when we hold on too long.  
    I fed my bestest buddy my wife's pound cake(he would literally drool a puddle when she baked  it) in my kitchen while they put him down.  I cried like a baby and am not ashemed of it one bit. 
    Here's a drawing I had done of him.  My best buddy and constaint companion.  Getting a little teary eyed typing this. 
    By the way if you can come back as something else, I've always said i would like to come back as my dog, now I can add yours also. Greatest complement I can give. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited June 2017
    My dog I had before I have my current one was a yellow lab greyhound mix. Extremely loyal dog. When we had made the decision to put him down due to bone cancer I made him a rack of beef back ribs that I would be proud to serve anyone on this forum. He was used to getting the bones but after we had eaten the meat off. When I gave him the first one he looked back at me like, what's the deal. After the second or third my wife says "what if he gets sick ". I thinking really?  Unless you'very been there you won't get it.  If dogs don't go to heaven I want to go where they do. 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    My partner, a lab, lived for 17 wonderful years. When it was time, I did what I had to do, but cried like a baby. I feel your pain. 

Michael
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    I am sorry for your loss. My lost her dog of 16 years this year. It is a hard thing to go through.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Cashfan
    Thanks Everyone. 

I am out of tears, and I was a wreck at the vet's. 

I am realizing how much my life was formed around taking care of him. When I left, how long I was gone, how much time I need to get ready to leave in the morning. Those are the hardest moments, remembering I don't have to do that anymore.

• So sorry for your loss. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    I feel your pain, did the same for my catahoula a few years back. Great dogs are family members first dogs second. Sorry for your loss.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Cashfan   Sorry for your loss.  Great job on the post.

Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Sorry to hear about Petey Cashfan. It sounds like he was treated like a king. All kinds of great memories you two have together. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cashfan
    Thanks again everyone. 

Special thanks to the forum member who helped out via PM. This is a special place where a stranger would do that for another in need, just to be helpful. 

Today was better; been keeping myself busy and my mind occupied, with helps some. Made my best ribs to date (my ribs suck) so that felt good. St Louis style with Oakridge Rib Rub and peach smoke. Definitely have to try to repeat them.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Cashfan said:
    Thanks again everyone. 

Special thanks to the forum member who helped out via PM. This is a special place where a stranger would do that for another in need, just to be helpful. 

Today was better; been keeping myself busy and my mind occupied, with helps some. Made my best ribs to date (my ribs suck) so that felt good. St Louis style with Oakridge Rib Rub and peach smoke. Definitely have to try to repeat them.
    Being sad and reflecting on your years is a healthy part of grieving. One day, when the time is right, you can get a wiff of puppy chow breath and start a new friendship. Until then, hang in there. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Yes the new puppy I got near 3 years ago kept finding the previous dogs toys hidden outside. I think that since she never had pups she hid them just for him. He sat down beside me just as I started to read this. Life changes but it does go on.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    So sorry to hear about Petey.  We humans certainly fall in love with our furry friends and an animal's love is so unconditional.  Hang on to the priceless memories.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Sorry for your loss!! 
  • Cashfan
    Thanks everyone.

It's nice to hear from people who understand. Its been a rough few days, but they will get better. It's hard being home, its so quiet and lonely. I also didn't realize how much I noticed him when he was sleeping, I keep looking for him.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    No words :bawling:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • canoebldr
    canoebldr Posts: 16
    Been there and done that. Remi was an English Setter that everyone loved and she loved the attention,after I brought her home  from the vets I told my wife I will never own another dog again as I just couldn't go thru that again.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    So sorry brother. Been there as well. They truly are family. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tferk
    tferk Posts: 34
    I am sorry for your loss, having to put down a animal is probably the single hardest decision one has to make. Glad to let him live the high life , we did a similar thing when we had to put down our Shepard mix.
  • You did for him what we all wish would be done for us under similar circumstances. I think it's especially hard with pets because we can't explain our actions and emotions to them. I'm sure he made it clear to you in many ways that it was time. Each day will get a little better, but sometimes things will trigger memories and tears. Know that the reason we miss them so is because we loved them so...
    Egging in Indy...
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461

The Rainbows Bridge Poem
    RainbowBridge.com
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. 

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

E-mail this page to a friend   Find us on Facebook

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV