Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ Charcoal VS FOGO

Options
The costco road show is in town right now with the KJ lump. I usually get FOGO. How does this compare? The price is much better on the KJ.

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA

Comments

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Basicly the same wood source, same smell, bigger pieces.  Buy as much as you can. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @bigbadben Larger pieces with KJ lump? Never used it. However, I've used Fogo and the bag I used had a majority of the bag being huge pieces. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    @bigbadben Larger pieces with KJ lump? Never used it. However, I've used Fogo and the bag I used had a majority of the bag being huge pieces. 
    I have gone through a large bag of fogo and several bags of the "restaurant grade" KJ.  They were similar.  The newer "big block" bags should be bigger. I have seen pictures posted online comparing old vs new KJ lump with a noticeable size increase.  Some people complain the lump is too big for joe jrs. 

We all know lump can vary with handling, so use of many bags over many shipments will tell the true story. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I recently hit a roadshow and bought 8 bags total of the "Big Block"  but haven't used any yet. I did open a bag and it had a piece on top that looked like it wouldn't fit in the Joe Jr that followed me home. I've had FOGO in the past and the KJ stuff is defiantly bigger and looks like the FOGO. FOGO was a perfect size for the most part for me.

I like big lump but the KJ looks too big IMHO. But it is a good price at the roadshow. I've heard its good lump and its nothing a hammer can't fix. Like mentioned above, it would be better suited for a large or XL cooker, at least straight out of the bag.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Both are above average and I would not hesitate to use either, but I prices were similar I would lean towards Fogo.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    How do they compare with Rockwood? That is the only real reference point I have.

Bought some RO at Home Depot over Memorial Day but haven't used it yet.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I will try something new if it shows up, but Rockwood is my clear cut favorite for almost everything. RO is fine and a good value, but I don't mind paying a little more for something I think is better.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    So... I went to the Costco Road show and they only had 10 bags left of the Big Block. I bought all 10 of them. I cooked ribs today and they were great. The lump seemed dense but fully carbonized. It burned clean quickly and tasted neutral. I will say that the FOGO is bigger pieces from my experience. For $22 a bag I am happy that I bought 10. I will buy 10 more next time.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA