Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg???

Options
I've had a large for about 6 years and have considered multiple times buying a mini. I've run across a used one, almost new, for $200. We have a camper/ travel trailer that we use quite often and it seems like it would be a really good camping and tailgate Grill. Also could be used for searing and small meals around the house.  However, my wife and I have three Growing Kids, so small meals are getting much larger lately.  I've almost bought a minimax and a small, but ended up not liking the weight of them for transporting.  For those who have a mini, how well do you like it? Also, is $200 a good price for a relatively new, used one?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Look into the Akron Jr. Sounds like it will fit your needs. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Really sounds like the Mini is to small for your needs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Obviously "used" means no warranty for replacement parts but those of us who love the old Mini - then we know it is "grilling machine" and light weight by comparison! OTOH of my 4 eggs my Small is my workhorse. Granted a M/M is nothing but a Small with a shortened base and higher price, but you are in a better position to assess your future needs and bank account balance!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I really enjoy my mini!!   We take it when we go to the beach and the mountains.  There's just 2 of us but I've cooked for 6 on it before.  You just have to be creative.  During the week it's my most used egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    Options
    I have a large and a mini. I would recommend the pairing for the portability by itself but it has many different benefits than just that. Have taken it camping, to the beach, tailgating, friends houses..... BUT I primarily cook for wife and myself. It's great for searing. 

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Look into the Akron Jr. Sounds like it will fit your needs. 
    ^^^This!!!

Actually, it's the Akorn Jr from CharGriller. I bought mine a week ago (Walmart) and love it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just cooked this on it today. 6+ lbs Mojo pork. Delicious!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have the small and mini (and medium). I don't recommend either of them for a growing family. The medium is often forgotten, and it's the best size to use when I cook for my family of five. When they were young it was the small but now that's just used when it's hot dogs or less than a full meal. I have the mini with the carrier, that doesn't make it portable at 40 lbs (I added a second fire ring for a raised grid). 

My som and I made burgers on it yesterday, it held three, overlapping each other in the middle even. Many will show you the amazing things they have done and tell of how it fed armies. I applaud them. I like feeding everyone at the same time. 

@Carolina Q's suggestion of the Akron jr is a good one if you want to go portable. I use Webers for portability.

now that I have been negative, let me say I love the mini. When I cooked burgers yesterday it was ready from torching it at the start to cooking in like 8 minutes running at 450. The thing is awesome. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I love my Mini, i say YES! I also made a modified adapter plate for my Party Q ..

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There's a dealer near me that has a new with warranty Mini for $225, no nest or carrier. I keep telling myself it's too small and I don't need it. So far, so good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @DMW I never had any desire to get a Mini, but one day I was on CL and saw a new unregistered one WITH receipt for $225 .. i had no choice but to buy it. No regrets. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fella near me had a brand new mini, no warranty, for sale $125.  That's about right.  $200 with no warranty is a rip off.

@carolinaq, what did you do for the indirect setup on the akorn?

@socaltim, what did you have to do to mod the adapter?
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I think you all have talked me out of it.....again.    :| I already have a Weber Go Anywhere ( https://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B00004RALJ), and it works like a champ.  I think I just want a fancy grill for the road.  I will give that Akorn a serious look.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Odie91 I used an adapter that fits a small egg and cut and grinded the top and right side til I was able to wedge it in securely.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
     I keep telling myself it's too small and I don't need it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
     I keep telling myself it's too small and I don't need it. 

Dangit Scottie, my wallet might lose some weight. Logic bedamned.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    DMW said:
    There's a dealer near me that has a new with warranty Mini for $225, no nest or carrier. I keep telling myself it's too small and I don't need it. So far, so good.
    Quit taking the stupid pills for a day, and go pick it up. That's a GREAT price for a new mini. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The Mini will be just fine. See nothing wrong with the price. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    We have this on CL in my area - https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/hsh/6148734732.html

It looks lightly used but the price isn't bad if someone is interested.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Bet you're goona be pissed once you see someone smoking a 9lb pork butt on an Akorn Jr while you're struggling to fit 3 measly hamburgers on that mini.

Being able to low and slow a significant amount of protein while you're camped out somewhere is a must in my book. But I like to tailgate with my RV, maybe you don't.

Also the Minimax and Joe Jr are too heavy and fragile for traveling and wrestling in and out of a basement storage compartment IMO. Been there, done that.

Gittin' there...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I love(d) my mini, but since i bought the MiniMax, Mr. Mini isn't getting much attention!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The mini is a cooking machine. I take it to my son's school and cook for him and his roommates and their friends ...college kids! No one can ever tell me that the mini can't cook enough food to feed a crowd. I've been doing it for years! It cooks for 4 hours at 400 degree dome on just a handful of lump. Just do it, you can't go wrong for $200.

This is a thread I posted about the last time I cooked for the kids.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205043/more-college-cookin
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mayberry
    The mini seems to fall into either a love/hate category for most folks, with little to no middle ground. And to a degree, I can understand that. As a mini lover, let me share some of the pros and cons of the mighty mini. 
    First, a few of the cons. Limited capacity. However this should be a no brainer. If you know up front that you need more capacity, then but something bigger. For folks like myself that have numerous smokers and grills, the minis limited capacity is of little or no concern. I use it for things that it can easily handle. Thus, problem solved. 
    Second, some say that it is expensive for its size. My retort is; aren't they all? And when you factor in the fact that the vast majority on the forum has unlimited money, then I say; what's the problem? Just write the check my friend. No need to ponder. 
    Third, and this one I have never had an issue with myself, holding low temps. The ability to hold low temps on the mini is just as simple as holding low temps on any other BGE. Not to long ago, I posted a low and slow 12 hour chicken cook that I did at 200 degrees for the duration. The mini never bobbled or rose in temp. It just takes a little practice and proper fire management to hold low temps. 
    On that same note, if you ever let the temp get away from you, it is a mother flipper to settle the mini back down without some type of forced cooling. 
    Now for a few of the pros. First, the mini is a "grilling" machine. As a grill (not a smoker) my mini will blow the doors off of my large BGE. I prefer to grill on my mini by miles versus my large. The little fellow is just a grilling machine. Again, it's only draw back as a grill (just like as a smoker) is it's limited capacity. But to reiterate, if I need more capacity, I use a larger grill. 
    Second, the mini is a fuel mizer. Not that this is a concern to the vulgar rich, but to some it is. 
    In summary, in no way am I trying to sway you to buy a mini. Just pointing out some of its pros and cons. With that said, personally I love the little mini. And as long as money holds, I will always have one. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    Well said @SGH

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

That's awesome brother!!

Status- Standing by.

• noarmysargent
    Options
    I am a camper. We have both, a mini and Minimax.  The mini is perfect for 2 people. We are empty nesters. If the kids and grandkids are coming, it's kind of tight.  The mini is in a cooler so it makes more convenient.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Growing family?  Wasting $ on a mini, even ifin you go camping.  I have a large and a mini-max.  I use the mini max fer tailgating, and camping.  Usually only cooking fer 3 when using the mini and it works great...  Pretty soon me and the ole lady will be empty nesters and I will be giving my large to my daughter fer her housewarming gift then buying another large....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • SGH
    Options
    And after all I said above, I forgot to say that the mini simply kicks a$$. 

Status- Standing by.