Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIY Rig Questions (Not Exactly a Handyman)

Options
Hi All.  I have a Medium BGE and wanted to create a DIY rig so I can do raised direct cooking (among other things).  My plan was to do it via carriage bolts and let the porcelain grid that came with the Egg rest on top of the cast iron grid that I have.  I put it together using 4 inch, 5/16 - 18TPI carriage bolts with 5/16 washers and hex nuts.  It was a perfect height when sitting on the CI grid but when I moved it around, it seems as if the washers are a little too small in terms of diameter and can slide under the grid line ruining the thing.

My question is: can anybody give a recommendation for a larger washer size that'd work with that carriage bolt?  This may sound like an obvious question but I've never really purchased washers/nuts before and at my local Home Depot, unless you're a professional contractor, you can't get anybody to talk to you.  I'm just unsure about going up in washer size, and it creating an issue for the bolts/nuts I purchased.  Do I need to go up in size on everything?  Attached is the receipt from Home Depot to show what I purchased in case I described anything incorrectly (please disregard the hanging plant which was for my fiance's Mom :) ).  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Medium BGE  Owner since May 2017
Trying to bring good BBQ to Queens, NY

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go back and get all stainless hardware. It looks like you purchased galvanized. As for washers, you should be able to get 5/16 fender washers. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

+1 on above.  if possible, get stainless.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Viper4194
    Viper4194 Posts: 23
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go back and get all stainless hardware. It looks like you purchased galvanized. As for washers, you should be able to get 5/16 fender washers. 
    johnnyp said:

Thanks all.  Any reason SS is preferable to galvanized?
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    One thing I did was put the carriage bolts in the raised grid pointing down. Then put t-nuts on the ends of the carriage bolts to act as sort of a foot. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Viper4194 said:
    johnnyp said:

Because you don't wanna get welding shivers?

Little Rock, AR

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Viper4194 said:
    johnnyp said:

It is coated with zinc, which can emit harmful fumes when heated.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Just buy a Woo and be done with it. We all started with bolts, washers and bricks.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Just buy a Woo and be done with it. We all started with bolts, washers and bricks.lol
    +1
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Yeah the coating will peel at about 400 degrees and you could get sick. 

You ou may have to order the stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers online. My HD and Lowes didn't have them. Neither did the hardware stores. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Viper4194
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Trust me, I've vexed over it.  I just hate putting my PS into storage when I only got it a month ago.  Had a know about all that CGS had to offer when I bought my BGE I would've never bought the PS.
  • Viper4194
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Viper4194 said:
    johnnyp said:

It is coated with zinc, which can emit harmful fumes when heated.
    I thought the temp had to be super high (1600F) for this to occur?  Regardless, I'll play it safe and get SS.   Thanks.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Viper4194 said:
    johnnyp said:

Galvanized steel can off-gas zinc oxide at high temps, which can be poisonous. Zinc is in the coating to prevent corrosion.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    ive been poisoned by galvanized steel fumes but dont think its possible in an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Viper4194 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Trust me, I've vexed over it.  I just hate putting my PS into storage when I only got it a month ago.  Had a know about all that CGS had to offer when I bought my BGE I would've never bought the PS.
    You can still use your platesetter for indirect clean cooks like pizza and stuff.
    Call Tom and see if he can make a modified Woo for your medium that you can use with or without your platesetter like he has for the Large BGE.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Buy a woo and cut the feet off of the platesetter. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Buy a woo and cut the feet off of the platesetter. 
    Another good idea
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas