Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Someone Tell Me About Sous Vide Ribs

Options
SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
 I plan on heading out to Zion Ut next month and would like to take a couple pre-cooked slabs to finish on my BGE.
So, my questions are these:
I know time and temps, do I apply rub and or sauce before the sous vide bath or do I apply before I finish on the egg?
How long will the ribs hold in the fridge 4 or 5 days? Or should I freeze them?
When I finish on my egg, what temp and for how long or should I just sear and keep flipping?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I can answer a few of these questions. Some I have not done. I did mine at 150 for 21 hours I believe followed by a 1 hour smoke at something below 300. Rub was applied before water bath, sauce after the smoke. I brought the egg up to around something a I've 400 or so to set the sauce, and make them look like that had not been sous vide'd. Best ribs Ive ever had.

enjoy Zion. It's going to be hot.  
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We have not done ribs yet. Go over to Chefstep they have couple rib recipes and videos
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't use as much in the way of rub. Flavors tend to concentrate in the bag.

I've held bagged SV meats in the fridge for 5 days, no problems. They have been cooked long enough to pasteurize them, and the salt and sugar and spices in the rub partially cure them.

Freezing works well too. SV meats are not quite as broken down, so their texture doesn't degrade as much from freezing. If you are traveling with them, freezing might be a good option.

I usually serve warm sauce on the side. For finishing, I do them direct, but not searing. 350-ish, with several flips. 30 - 45 min has been enough to get enough smoke, and brown them.

IMO, not quite as good as just regular lo-slo, but acceptable and convenient.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    167 for 4 hrs per the ChefSteps recipe works great. I haven't cooled ribs but I've cooled other meats to hold. Dump all the hot water, add cold water and ice, and set the circulator to the coldest temp possible. I think my Anova goes to 32. Add more ice as necessary. You should be able to chill the ribs very quickly. 

I'd drain them and bag them. Then I'd put the rub on when the grill was getting ready. Just need to grill until done - a 2 zone setup is ideal like you can do in a Weber kettle. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Thanks guys, this info really helps!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    I wasn't impressed with ribs the two times I SV'd them. If you're already going to have an egg there why don't you just turbo them? Wouldn't take much longer than reheating already cooked ribs.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    I wasn't impressed with ribs the two times I SV'd them. If you're already going to have an egg there why don't you just turbo them? Wouldn't take much longer than reheating already cooked ribs.
    I'll be honest, I just don't care for turbo'd ribs.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'll be honest, I just don't care for turbo'd ribs.
    I would try and find time to do a test rack SV just to see if YOU think they will be good enough to make it worth your while. It's extra work and planning that may not give you results any better than your opinion of turbo ribs. Just might not be worth the effort when you could cook something else fresh that you really like.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas