Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

British BBQ scene - video

Options
Thought I'd share this video I just found about BBQ in London. Thought some of you Americans might enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/QFhjlth5sR4

BBQ has always been popular in Britain but normally synonymous with burnt sausages and burgers. I now know more people getting smokers and restaurants are generally getting a lot better - I occasionally see big green eggs as part of a restaurant's aresenal - particularly Michelin star places that have some grill on the menu. Still loads of places that do mediocre pulled pork, but the restaurant featured in the video I love - inventive dishes and they make use of every part of the animal, which leads to some weird dishes like pig tails. 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Think there will be some guys drooling over the pig farm.

@20stone
    @caliking
    Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Mangalitsa pork chop.  Mmmmmmmm.

We butchered a mangalitsa last summer. The chops were special - right @The Cen-Tex Smoker

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cool! Love the cooker!

Seemed as though the pulled pork and especially the chop were more than a little fatty. I'm not familiar with the mangalica breed, but apparently, "...this Old World breed pig is indigenous to Hungary. Its name means “hog with a lot of lard”..." http://www.dartagnan.com/mangalica-pig-heritage-pork.html

Reading that makes me wonder if I've ever tasted pork.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Options

@Carolina Q, I helped @20stone, @caliking, and @pigfisher butcher a Texas grown Mangalitsa last summer. And I just finished reading the book "Pig Perfect".  According to that book most people haven't tasted great pork. The factory grown pigs in the US are not set up to select for great pigs and the diets are not those that produce great pork. The great pork of the old south in the US was based on fattier pigs raised on peanut plants - just as the great Iberian hams of Spain come from fatty black footed ("pata negra") pigs raised on acorns. 

The mangalitsa is actually too fatty for some purposes. The one we butchered had almost no discernible protein in the belly (about 1 mm of meat) so bacon was not an option.  That's why we went with a cross between the manga and another breed (Swabian Hall I think) for the pigs we're raising. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I want a taste of that fatty pork! 

Liked the the video thanks for sharing!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    @Foghorn That's fascinating. Thanks for sharing
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Awesome video - thanks for sharing that!  Man those ribs sound good - chipotle caramel sauce whoa!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    That rib.... my oh my looks good

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Heritage pig pork is big business here, very tasty too.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I know this sounds (just a bit) wrong, but I got a half chub when I first saw the hairy piggy in the vid. All I could see was **** delicious chops, bacon, sausage, and other tasty bits. 

As @Foghorn mentioned , the belly off the most recent butchering adventure was definitely better than the mangalitsa we had butchered last year. Going for a But the marbling (yes , marbling) on the chops from the manga was unreal .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TheToast
    Options
    @caliking Do share photos if you have any
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Beef ribs with a caramel chipotle sauce.  I think I know what I'm doing next weekend...
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @TheToast, here's some chops from the pure mangalitsa. 

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm not sure the caramel chipotle sauce sounds all that appetizing for BBQ.  Ice cream, maybe, meat, I'm not so sure.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I'm not sure the caramel chipotle sauce sounds all that appetizing for BBQ.  Ice cream, maybe, meat, I'm not so sure.  
    I'm thinking of it mixed with something else - sort of a sweet heat type deal.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@Carolina Q, I helped @20stone, @caliking, and @pigfisher butcher a Texas grown Mangalitsa last summer. And I just finished reading the book "Pig Perfect".  According to that book most people haven't tasted great pork. The factory grown pigs in the US are not set up to select for great pigs and the diets are not those that produce great pork. The great pork of the old south in the US was based on fattier pigs raised on peanut plants - just as the great Iberian hams of Spain come from fatty black footed ("pata negra") pigs raised on acorns. 

The mangalitsa is actually too fatty for some purposes. The one we butchered had almost no discernible protein in the belly (about 1 mm of meat) so bacon was not an option.  That's why we went with a cross between the manga and another breed (Swabian Hall I think) for the pigs we're raising. 
    I recall Carl Blake using Swabian Halls and Chinese Meishans for his pork.  La Quercia, out of Des Moines, IA tried using his hogs for their prosciutto, and had trouble due to the fat, they went with another breed.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - I need to get off my lawn but I'm not messing with a simple Montreal steak seasoning on the beef ribs and no sauce for the finish.  Worcestershire for the binder.  (That's as close to that UK recipe as I will get.)  However, that chop did look incredible. 
    You must be spending too much time with the serious gurus in ALB doing some sort of stress analysis etc for those who make the big boom toys... :)  
    Safe travels.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I need to get off my lawn but I'm not messing with a simple Montreal steak seasoning on the beef ribs and no sauce for the finish.  Worcestershire for the binder.  (That's as close to that UK recipe as I will get.)  However, that chop did look incredible. 
    You must be spending too much time with the serious gurus in ALB doing some sort of stress analysis etc for those who make the big boom toys... :)  
    Safe travels.  
    Lol.  A week in ABQ blowing stuff up (even virtually) does tend to sharpen one's attention, yeah.

Last set of beef ribs I did basically the same and they were incredible.  Why mess with a good thing, right?  All good scientists experiment ;)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Mangalitsa pork chop.  Mmmmmmmm.

We butchered a mangalitsa last summer. The chops were special - right @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    They were indeed. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TheToast
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @TheToast, here's some chops from the pure mangalitsa. 

That looks terrific