Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasser

Options
td66snrf
td66snrf Posts: 1,822
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
For those who bad mouth gassers. This is a smoked salmon off of my Fire Magic. Why you ask? I can keep the temp at 160, tough to do on the egg. I soak an oak fire log overnight put it  directly on the flavor grid with that side on low. Smokes like a big dog.  Put the fish on the other side with burners off. Truly indirect with low and slow. If anybody interested in the recipe let me know. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying get rid of your Kamados, of which I have seven, but there is a place for a quality gasser. For those who say the propane imparts a smell or taste, mine is on natural gas, no tanks.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser

Comments

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    I totally agree about the gassers.  I bought a two burner Weber Spirit for the back porch for rainy nights and simple cooks, and have grown to really like it very much.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If I had been able to find a gasser that still used lava rocks when my old one died back in the 80s, I'd still be using one. That said, my brother has a flavorizor bar Weber that consistently provides some fine food!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I agree with your assessment of the often maligned gasser, would not be without one. My now 15 year old Broil King Regal is on its third burner (<$20) and second flavour wave bar (<$30), the original cast grids are still going strong. The side burner is handy to keep sauces warm and as a warming oven or grilling pit, the temp range is virtually unmatchable. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Mine has been in the shed, ever since I got the BGE.   A low temp smoke like this makes sense though.  

For every tool there is a job.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    In addition to my large egg, I have a Weber Genesis gasser and use it relatively frequently.  No shame. A nice gas grill will always have a place at my home. An egg cook requires something I don't always have.....time.  Furthermore, my large egg doesn't always have enough space so many times I am using both.  
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Most of the bad rap for gassrs is because people's opinion are based on a "bad" gas grill.
    Fire Magic is a nice high end gasser...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • egginNthefreeworld
    Options
    I have a firemagic echelon with the rotissery built in, love that thing. Dont use it enough though.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I would get a weber. Great parts availability and most parts are able to be sourced locally. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I don't really get it.  I had a Weber gas grill for a number of years, and it was really handy, loved just being able to turn it on and off and not worry about tending the fire, adjusting the temperature, messing with charcoal and ashes, but... I never really loved the food I cooked the way I do in my Eggs.  And when we rent a house at the beach or some place for vacation and there's a gas grill, I do some grilling, and again it's fast and easy, but I swear it's just never as good as it is at home with my BGEs.

I'm not "religious" about being "anti-gasser" or something.  My next door neighbor has a gas grill, and he's a busy guy -- I hardly ever see him, and he just doesn't have a lot of time to be futzing around with a real charcoal fire.  For a lot of busy people who just don't have a lot of time to mess with charcoal, etc., gas grills are fast and easy and they work well.  But I'm retired, and if someone GAVE me a gas grill I can't think of a time I'd rather use that than my Eggs.  There's just something about cooking over a wood or charcoal fire that gives food a different character than gas.  And I also enjoy the experience of a wood or charcoal fire more than just turning on a gas burner.

Glad you guys enjoy your gassers, and by all means, have at it, but I won't say I understand why.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I like my Weber Silver B.  I use it when I need to cook something quickly, for vegetables, rotisserie chicken, and as additional space for large cooks.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    I already had a gasser before I got my first egg. It charbroils and that's about all I use it for anymore. Fast seared steaks and hot dogs. Just can't beat the taste of something cooked on the egg.
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    the only thing that bewilders me about gassers is the guy that only cooks hotdogs and hamburgers paying a couple grand on one =) your setup/cook does the job well, nice cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    While I use my gasser less and less it's still the very best thing for large amounts of grilled vegetables. Highly recommend the Weber Genesis, it's a horse.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I still use my Weber Genesis from time to time, mostly for a quick cook.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I only missed my gasser when I wanted a grilled steak and didn't have a lot of time.  So a couple years ago for my 30th work anniversary I got a Coleman Road Trip.  It uses the little green camp bottles and I hadn't cooked on a gasser in years and when we went to eat all we tasted was propane.  I learned to only cook with the valve opened half way.  Food is ok, but not as good on my egg.  When I did have a gasser i made decent food, but the food I make now taste so much better to me.  The wife said I could only have one expensive grill so I got the egg.   Now my neighbor has about 7 grills and 3 or 4 are gas grills and one is a large BGE.  His wife doesn't mind as much as mine and I do most of the cooking.

I even do most of the cooking inside as well.

A nice Weber or Napoleon would be nice to add, but don't see it happening till maybe when my 8 year old is out of collage. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

All this tolerance of gassers is unacceptable.  This forum is my safe space, and all this gasser talk very nearly has me triggered.

Phoenix 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I am starting to get gas just reading this thread. My Weber Genesis is about to find a new home at my Step Daughters very soon.
  • td66snrf
    edited June 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

All this tolerance of gassers is unacceptable.  This forum is my safe space, and all this gasser talk very nearly has me triggered.

@blasting Really?  People post about trucks, kids grades, supercar accidents, illnesses, whatever it's all good. Mention a gasser and it's taboo. That was kind of my point. If it bothers you don't read it. It's just another tool in the toolbox. Peace brother. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I love my TEC infrared gasser. It does certain things extremely well. It's 13 yrs old and still looks great. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I use my natural gas grill for the final sear on some things that I do low and slow on the Egg. I turn on the gas as my meat is coming up to temp, and the meat hits a grill at 800 or 900 degrees. Instant sear.

Since I bought the Egg I have only done low and slows, and have had no problems adding appetizers or deserts to the mix. Maybe someday I will graduate to bread and pizza, but I am enjoying what I do now. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    blasting said:

@blasting Really?  People post about trucks, kids grades, supercar accidents, illnesses, whatever it's all good. Mention a gasser and it's taboo. That was kind of my point. If it bothers you don't read it. It's just another tool in the toolbox. Peace brother. 

@td66snrf

lol, clearly my attempt at humor missed the mark.  

My post was mock outrage, poking a little fun at the anti gasser crowd.  I use many cookers that aren't green myself.

Phoenix 
  • td66snrf
    Options
    @blasting Sorry but I thought you were one of those gas haters. I swear there should be a sarcasm font!