Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-Sodium Nitrate

Options
Hi all - getting ready to do bacon. Anyone use a preservative other than sodium nitrate? If so what and how much??

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bacon cure is sodium nitrite not nitrate. Not sure why you are asking but Does that make a difference ?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    leave out the nitrite and you just have brined pork belly. It ain't bacon without nitrite. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, celery juice ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    If it makes you feel better, celery juice ...

or rub spinach on it
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I guess I should have asked it differently...can bacon be cured without sodium nitrate? My dad is allergic to the pink stuff and he wants me to make him some bacon without it. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I guess I should have asked it differently...can bacon be cured without sodium nitrate? My dad is allergic to the pink stuff and he wants me to make him some bacon without it. 
    Bacon is not cured with sodium nitrate, it is cured with sodium nitrite.

Is your dad allergic to celery?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    just use kosher salt, br sugar and black pepper.   put it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks in a big plastic bag (tall kitchen bag will work), then remove and put on a wire rack in the fridge for 2 more days to dry it out, then smoke, slice, fry and eat.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2017
    Options

the pink stuff in bacon is NITRITE not nitrate. That's why I was asking. is he allergic to nitrates (red wine) or Nitrites (cured meat)?

there is no sodium nitrate in bacon
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Ha. Sorry Cen Tex. He's not allergic to red wine...cured meat is what I meant. Nitrites. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There is no sub for sodium nitrite in bacon if you want legit bacon. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    blind99 said:
    leave out the nitrite and you just have brined pork belly. It ain't bacon without nitrite. 
    Not exactly. The only point of nitrite is to inhibit bacterial growth during cold smoking.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Not exactly. The only point of nitrite is to inhibit bacterial growth during cold smoking.
    The nitrites do more than just inhibit bacterial growth. Nitrites change the texture and flavor of the meat during the curing process.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Also be aware that the natural substitutes, like celery juice, are full of nitrites - which is why they can substitute for sodium nitrite.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.