Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Another Meatloaf

Options
Dredger
Dredger Posts: 1,468
Meant to do this earlier during the Memorial Day holiday, but things got in the way. Decided to make a smaller one since it was just for the two of us.

Instead of a counter shot, went with one from the fridge for something different.

Getting happy on the egg. Left it on a little bit too long since it was smaller than what I usually make. Will have to remember that in the future. It was still good though.

Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks delicious. I really enjoy meatloaf made on the egg. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks great! 'Bout time for me to do another. Interesting how they crack apart like that. Last one I did looked like a butt! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    What that pan you are cooking it on? I need one of those!
  • Dredger
    Options
    I agree @SciAggie. It's the only way hubby will eat one. He loves it done on the egg. Thanks @Carolina Q. Nice looking meatloaf. Mine always look like a butt too. Not sure why. @slovelad, it's a Graniteware pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MJYE8I/. I don't use that one often and figured it had it's own drip pan built in, so why not? I've had that one for ages. Worked great.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Dredger said:
    ... it's a Graniteware pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MJYE8I/. I don't use that one often and figured it had it's own drip pan built in, so why not? I've had that one for ages. Worked great.
    First, the meatloaf looks GREAT!

Second, I usually just chill the loaf beforehand and hope it will hold its shape when I <gasp> just put it right on the grid (with a drip pan below) and sort of hold my breath, hoping it won't break apart.  

So far, I've never had a problem but your pan looks like it would take the anxiety out of the process of transferring it from the pan it was in to the grid.  I might think about that.  Thanks for the idea!
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @Theophan. Yours looks great too. There are a couple of reasons I use a pan. First one being that I am  real klutz and don't cherish the idea of a caveman style meatloaf in pieces. The other one is that we use grass-fed beef and it's very lean, so it's a little difficult to get it to stick together to begin with. When I make a larger meatloaf, I use this pan.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Meat loaf looks great.. one of my favorite comfort foods...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @JohnnyTarheel. We really like too.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas and a slice of tomato.
    "TCB" is what Elvis would have said, if he was at that table, and he would tell you, with a fast Karate move to emphasize his point, "And that was an understatement, y'all."
    I am also absolutely sure, he would have stood up and said "Thankya, thankya, vury much.", when he cleaned his plate.
    After all, that meal is fit for a King.
    FUN FACT: Elvis never ate meatloaf without tomatoes.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    FUN FACT: Elvis never ate meatloaf without tomatoes.

Thanks so much @YukonRon. That is a fact that I didn't know. Another thing the King would have liked is that I put Duke's mayonnaise in my mashed potatoes.  =) Sometimes, it's good being from the south.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    that's comfort food, right there.....

cold meatloaf sandwich is up in my top 3 for best sandwiches, nothing fancy - bread, meat, little mayo........

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Meatloaf was made for the egg.  Yours looks great.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Yum!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I love meatloaf, other half does not, so I will eat vicariously thru your good looking cook.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Your meatloaf is anything but just another. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    @Dredger looks great but why the lonely Bud Light

O-Town, FL

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks Tom. You're so right about meatloaf sandwiches. Simplicity at it's finest. Than you @bgebrent. Yum, indeed @Weberwho. @Austin Egghead. I had the same situation as you. Hubby wouldn't touch one until I did one on the egg. Now it's in our regular rotation. He even asks for one now. Appreciate that @northGAcock. @elyllins, thanks.  That lonely Bud Light was spill over. Should have gotten a shot of the door, lol. Also, the Corona case lives in the garage fridge.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    @Dredger.

Your thread is incorrectly titled.  

I would say "Just Another Excellent Meat Loaf."  :)

It looks great! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @Dredger  Beautiful cook. Willing to share recipe, time, and temps? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dredger
    Mighty fine looking meatloaf sister. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Options
    Thank you @SmokingPiney.

Here ya go @td66snrf. Nothing fancy.

Meatloaf on the Egg

Ingredients
    2 pounds ground chuck
    2 slices bread, toasted and torn in small pieces
    1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
    1 small onion, diced
    2 large eggs, beaten
    6 ounces tomato sauce
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons pepper

Set egg up for indirect at 325 dome temp. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Let stand 5 minutes, then slice.

Thanks very much @SGH.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Thanks very much @SGH.

As always, my pleasure sister. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    This looks soooo good that I've saved your recipe and will try it in the next couple of days. 

Thanks!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @JNDATHP and let me know how it works out. So simple, it's hard to mess up.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I was searching the forum for tomorrow's meatloaf recipe and reading this thread, and Elvis was mentioned by @YukonRon and @Dredger.

I recalled a youtube video i saw the other day for Elvis's Meatloaf and thought I would share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fybsOsVWo

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Dredger said:

Meatloaf on the Egg

Set egg up for indirect at 325 dome temp. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Let stand 5 minutes, then slice.

Looks delicious!  Thank you for sharing recipe.  Do you use any smoke wood?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Dredger
    Options
    Do you use any smoke wood?
    Thanks @buzzvol. We use wood chunks sometimes. Didn't use any in this one. When we do add wood chunks, it's normally hickory or Texas post oak. Let me know how it turns out if you try the recipe.  

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • buzzvol
    Options
    Working on one thanks to @Dredger for the recipe. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • buzzvol
    Options
    Used Dave''s Killer Bread - Good Seed six slices because they are small.  Also used pablano because I can't/won't do bell pepper :o
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Dredger
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Looking good @buzzvol. Hope it meets your expectations. The great thing about meatloaf is that you can throw anything you like in there and it's always gonna be great. Can't wait to see a sliced pic.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC