Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Brisket Day (+/-) (May 28) landing thread for that meteorite you created-

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,378
As many of you are aware Sunday is National Brisket Day.  Several here are eagerly participating for a great cause.
Please use this thread to post any level of detail you wish regarding your brisket journey.  Last year this event was a catalyst for many to first run with a brisket cook.  Time to go again.  Above all, have fun.  (The cow drives the cook.)
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lousubcap
    Options
    You do have quite a protein load in front of you.  Thanks for igniting the the thread-I'm on the clock starting Sat night.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    1st brisket, 1st overnight cook. What could go wrong?! 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    And it's on:

Now to settle in and hope for an uneventful rest of night. Temp on right side of the cooker is 246*, left side 232*, brisket in the middle, point towards the hot side. With something this size, there will be gradients.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Not going to be able to do it on NBD but I will be doing my first ever brisket one day in the next couple of weeks.

Until then I'll live (and learn) vicariously thru this thread.  
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Just put my SRF in the fridge to thaw (should have done it days ago) planning to cook Sunday.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Just put my SRF in the fridge to thaw (should have done it days ago) planning to cook Sunday.
    Generally, how long does it take one of those  things to thaw while in the fridge? The ones I have (SRF) are 16 pounders+/-. I was thinking it might take three days or so.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    2 briskets and 2 butts on now! 
    What's the weight of these?    Looking good!  Keep it rollin'!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @HeavyG - Depending on how good your freezer is, I plan for at least four days in the fridge for any brisket.   
  • thetrim
    Options
    BJM2932 said:
    1st brisket, 1st overnight cook. What could go wrong?! 
    Possibly nothing, but if there are no follow up pictures, we'll know it's plenty!  Good luck and hope it was a happy wake up!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @HeavyG - Depending on how good your freezer is, I plan for at least four days in the fridge for any brisket.   
    Welp, might cook it next weekend then.  It was only in my fridge freezer so only 0F as opposed to a deep freeze.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - Just put it in a cold water bath and change the water every hour or so and you can get it done in time for NBD.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac - Just put it in a cold water bath and change the water every hour or so and you can get it done in time for NBD.  
    Good call!  Thanks for the idea.  When I do this with pork I just through it on frozen, but don't want to do that with SRF.
  • thetrim
    Options
    I always heard hold it your fridge for one day for each 5lbs of meat for a proper thaw.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @thetrim - I find that calculation to come up short-even when going straight from the SRF shipping box (2 day standard rate) to the fridge.  With beef it can sit thawed in a fridge for weeks as long as the cryovac is not compromised.
    I started the thaw for the brisket going on tonight on May 14th.  FWIW-
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It's National Meteorite Day. Think I'll make another loaf of sourdough. I'm not a conformist. :smirk:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    Options
    I have a 13.9lber, and she's been in the fridge since the Sunday evening, May 21st.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Shameless bump to page 1 as National Brisket Day is under 5 hours (EDT) away.  
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    14.5 lb. trimmed weight. Going on at 9:00 pm. Good luck to all participants and enjoy the ride.

XL BGE
    MD
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    Overnight went well, only lost 10 degrees on my dome thermometer. However brisket is going on 20 hours. It was a big 18 pounder pre-trim, so not getting impatient yet. Wife and I are patiently waiting on the patio, coronas in hand... 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Went to publix. Walmart was out. (I know lack of planning on my part yada yada yada.) I asked the lady butcher if she had any briskets. She smiled took me to the cooler. A 3 lb and a 4 lb. I asked if she had any packers. She asked what that was. So I asked if she had anything bigger than a 4 lb. she said no, but she went and looked any ways. Came out with a 13lb still in the cryovac. Still puzzled, asked if this is what I had in mind. I smiled. Yes ma'am. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Went to publix. Walmart was out. (I know lack of planning on my part yada yada yada.) I asked the lady butcher if she had any briskets. She smiled took me to the cooler. A 3 lb and a 4 lb. I asked if she had any packers. She asked what that was. So I asked if she had anything bigger than a 4 lb. she said no, but she went and looked any ways. Came out with a 13lb still in the cryovac. Still puzzled, asked if this is what I had in mind. I smiled. Yes ma'am. 
    Did you give her a hug?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Jeremiah - way to keep after it.  Congrats on the brisket and the rental house completion project.  Time to exhale and relax.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Getting ready to season my SRF with the tears of liberals.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sitting on the patio waiting for the large to settle in. Hands were messy so didn't take a pic before putting back in the fridge with the rub. Will take one when she's on. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    On National Sourdough Day I'll be smoking a brisket :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL