Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Soldiers Never Die...

Options
News2u
News2u Posts: 335

Last week got inspired to put one tough trooper back in action.  The Ducane, we called him, came in a small package when reporting for duty in 1991.

Freeze-frames from 25 year old home video show my oldest son spiffing him up in advance of another fiery encounter. After 9 years of distinguished service, he polished up nice in his new dress greens  — the day we mothballed him in 2000.

Kept on minor detail these past 17 years in our sunroom, he was never the same. Little honor in guarding an oversized curio cabinet.  

Then in a brief, but touching ceremony last week, he emerged proudly bedazzled with a new regulator and shiny brass fittings. 

Behold this homestead’s new commander of all searing operations, our first line of attack for braising meat while working in tandem with the big guy. Fired up after 1 click of the ignitor.

Ten-hut! There’s an Officer on deck. 

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sweet! I've recently acquired my wife's late father's Ducane. Looking forward to rehabbing it and using it in his memory. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • News2u
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Sweet! I've recently acquired my wife's late father's Ducane. Looking forward to rehabbing it and using it in his memory. 
    Ducanes were work horses for sure. Ours will still stay on light duty. No raw meat on the grills anymore. Now mainly a hot burner and a braising tool.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Very nice.  Ducanes are good grills.  

Were they made by Weber at some point - or am I misremembering?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Cool thread.  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My Ducane today: for a long time it was an accessory holder. Now ->

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Mickey said:

Toenail remover?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mickey said:

Toenail remover?
    We now have plants around the pipe. Thinking someday get a single large burner and put there. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great story and that last pic-proud to be back in action.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Foghorn said:

You're correct. Then Weber closed them down. Ducanes we're actually made a couple of towns over from me here in SC. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • News2u
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Foghorn said:

You're correct. Then Weber closed them down. Ducanes we're actually made a couple of towns over from me here in SC. 
    Correcto Mundo. Here's the original model and serial number plate.
  • News2u
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great story and that last pic-proud to be back in action.  
    It seemed like a fitting historical note this Memorial Day weekend.
  • News2u
    Options
    News2u said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Ducanes were work horses for sure. Ours will still stay on light duty. No raw meat on the grills anymore. Now mainly a hot burner and a braising tool.

Mine came with 1 sidesaddle cutting board. I the model you -- the larger capacity, 3-burner setup with 2 sidesaddles. I hope I didn't toss my one; will scour the garage for it. Good luck with the restore.

• News2u
    Options
    News2u said:
    News2u said:
    Jeremiah said:

Mine came with 1 sidesaddle cutting board. I remember the model you have -- the larger capacity, 3-burner setup with 2 sidesaddles. I hope I didn't toss my one; will scour the garage for it. Good luck with the restore.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I like the idea of a smaller gas grill to sear meats.
    This thread has piqued my interest, and brings up a ?. Is Ducane still making a quality grill? Are there members here using another brand of gas grill for searing and quick cooks?

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • News2u
    Options
    rifrench said:
    This thread has piqued my interest, and brings up a ?. Is Ducane still making a quality grill? Are there members here using another brand of gas grill for searing and quick cooks?

As far as a know, you can only find parts for Ducanes. Can't speak to whether it morphed into another iteration under some other brand name. But I would suspect any gas grill would work.

For me, the Ducane playing playing in concert with the XL made for the perfect pairing especially since it only cost me $17 in a regulator and fittings to put the back into service.

Don't know if the topic been discussed before, but it would be akin, I'd say, to any hifalutin outdoor kitchen with separate, complimentary gas burners. I have a nice, electric stove...but controlling both the heat and oil splatter from searing left me few options. Offers even heat and saves me the cleanup.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I had quite an eye-opening experience with my first Ducane encounter.  I had a Weber gasser-handle all across the front.  I was helping a friend with a good sized cook-out.  Had bent down to get something and figured on my way up I would open the lid and see how things were going.  Of course I reached for the handle that wasn't there (side only) and my hand went straight on to the grill top.  Paid attention after that.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • News2u
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I had quite an eye-opening experience with my first Ducane encounter.  I had a Weber gasser-handle all across the front.  I was helping a friend with a good sized cook-out.  Had bent down to get something and figured on my way up I would open the lid and see how things were going.  Of course I reached for the handle that wasn't there (side only) and my hand went straight on to the grill top.  Paid attention after that.  
    We've all had our ah-hah moments around the metal kettles and the cook pots, many a lot worse than others.

They say you can never remember pain. Thank goodness remembering what not to do comes easy. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I used to put those things together when I worked at the local Ace Hardware store. We would sell those things like crazy. I hated putting them together....memories
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • News2u
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    I used to put those things together when I worked at the local Ace Hardware store. We would sell those things like crazy. I hated putting them together....memories
    What was the maddening part about it, the repetitiveness? I know it would have driven ME nuts. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    rifrench said:

@rifrench, any decent gas grill can be good for quick cooks.  However, if you are specifically going to use it for searing, you need to find one that will go to at least 500 degrees (fairly rare and expensive) - or has an infrared burner (probably better).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • News2u
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    rifrench said:

@rifrench, any decent gas grill can be good for quick cooks.  However, if you are specifically going to use it for searing, you need to find one that will go to at least 500 degrees (fairly rare and expensive) - or has an infrared burner (probably better).
    Sorry, Foghorn, took a breather.  You are 100% right.  That old Ducane ain't going to produce that kind of heat, no way, no how.

So since I got the space and the outlet, I'm thinking the perfect burner would an induction cooktop, something like the picture I've attached. I want something that gets super hot: 
    That would relegate the Ducane to a lesser role in the searing department, but at the same time a step up as a great tool in the baking department.