Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkish Marinade

Options
Recently I bought a book by Steven Raichlen titled "Barbecue Sauces Rubs and Marinades".

I decided to start with one of the easier ones in the book "Turkish Garlic-Yogurt Marinade"

It has 

2 cups greek style whole milk yogurt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
1 medium onion, peeled and diced fine
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

It is highly recommended for lamb(lamb kebobs), and also chicken and beef. I have a half breast of turkey marinating now since that was what I had on hand. If I can catch a 3 hour break in the monsoons tomorrow I'll put it in the Egg. 

They also have variations called Persian Saffron Yogurt Marinade and Indian Tandoori Marinade with increasing numbers of ingredients and costs in that order. 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Curious as to how this turned out. I would think that would be killer for kebabs.
    I noticed you had 2 different quantities for evoo listed, any reason?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd expect it to be pretty good. I've done a yogurt and curry marinade on rabbit that was quite good, and a buttermilk and nutmeg one for pork. The lactobacillus cultures in the yogurt and buttermilk add both their own flavors and others from starting to ferment the meat. And the meat becomes more tender.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Because that should have been 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice. To late to edit it I think.
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy
    Thank you, will use.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you leave out the yogurt, you basically have a souvlaki marinade - which when I think about it find it interesting this is called a "Turkish" marinade when the only named ingredient is Greek.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you leave out the yogurt, you basically have a souvlaki marinade - which when I think about it find it interesting this is called a "Turkish" marinade when the only named ingredient is Greek.....
    Well, the Greeks shared more than just a horse with the Trojans, it seems.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I guess they could have said to take yogurt and drain the excess water out of it using a coffee filter and strainer, this is what another recipe told me to do if I couldn't find Greek style yogurt. That is the only difference between Greek style and regular yogurt after all. Grocery stores saved us that trouble though. It reminds me that at one time The slang in England for a condom was a French Letter and in France they used the term English Hat.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    My version of turkey breast under a brick without getting fancy. A floor till wit a spare brick on it. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Finished product, now resting off the egg.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Btw notice my fancy raised grid.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Very tender and delicious. Will definitely repeat with different meats.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I've done that marinade on beef kebabs and it is great.  Thanks for reminding me.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. I wonder if pork tenderloin kebabs would do? I have poor luck with beef.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Tried this last night. Delicious. Thank you for posting

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    You are welcome. Have a good week.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Doing a rerun of this with a half a turkey tomorrow. Same marinade but I used one of my dehydrated habaneros from last years garden in place of the red pepper flakes.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2019
    Options
    That sounds like a tasty marinade. But... moar garlic!! :smiley:

my own preference is to not marinade too long with acids in the mix (yogurt, lemon juice) for poultry. Four hours or so does it for me. Otherwise, I feel the meat texture suffers. Beef would probably be ok overnight. 

And in theory, there is some concern that a regular brick may spall in a grill.  I usually wrap them in foil, so that any mishap will be contained. 

I bet the habaneros will kick it up a notch. Looking forward to v2 :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Yes and they were hotter than the average habanero when I used them. I seem to like the texture and they were big garlic cloves but I will let you know how they turn out. The spacer bricks are actually concrete pave stones and I have used them for about ten years spall free.