Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wonderful Temperature Chart!!!

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going throught last year's archives. One of the eggsperts mentioned a link that listed a temperature chart. I checked it out. It was still there. I changed the format of that chart a bit so as to make it easier to read. Also credit to the company that put it on the net is listed at the end. I hope this helps the Newbies like me, and maybe even a few of the veterans.[p]Thanks again for your help. To think that you all were egging and sharing info long before I even heard of the BGE, all the while I was still slaving over my old gas grill. You all have been a big help. THANKS.[p]Here it is THE CHART:
*************************************************************** [p]Welcome to Barbecue'n's Proper Temperatures Page.

[p]The Following Provides Complete Listing of Recommended Temperatures for Your Outdoor Cooking[p]In order orchestrate fantastic outdoor cooking events, use of proper internal temperatures is a necessary must. The information provided below represents approximate internal temperatures for safely cooked foods as well as recommended
cooking temperatures for smokers and grills.[p] Additionally, since we are serving international clientele, we have provided temperatures in both Fahrenheit and centigrade.[p]Instant Read Thermometer:
Don't forget to use your instant read thermometer. It is truly one of your basic necessary barbecue'n tools.[p]Approximate Internal Meat Temperatures[p]

Cold Smoking: Used exclusively for preservation. We do not recommend for the backyard barbecuer![p]Fahrenheit 85 to 120
centigrade 30 to 49

Very Rare Beef: Red Cool Center.
Fahrenheit 130
centigrade 54

Fish Done: Fish will begin to flake and turn opaque. Best determined by testing fish for flaking.
Fahrenheit 130 - 135
centigrade: 54-57

Rare: Red Center, (Rare) This is your basic rare cut of meat suitable to steaks and lamb. Pork should not be cooked rare.
Fahrenheit 140
centigrade 60

[p]Medium Rare: Red Center - Medium rare is good for all beef.
Fahrenheit 145 -150
centigrade 63 - 66

Medium Done: Pink Center. Medium done temperature is good for pork, beef and lamb. Hamburgers should be cooked to 160 degrees.
Fahrenheit 155 - 160
centigrade: 68-71

Medium Well Done : Light Gray Warm Center. Pork will be all white in center.
Fahrenheit 165
centigrade 74

Poultry: Turkey, chicken, etc. Check near the thigh and breast bone to verify temperature.
Fahrenheit: 165 - 170
centigrade: 74 Poultry

Well Done: With beef and lamb it’s done! (and dead) Pork is just done. Hot gray center. No pink.
Fahrenheit 170 - 180
centigrade 77-82

Approximate Grill and Smoker Temperatures
Barbecuing: Extended cooking over many hours time. Often confused with the term "smoking" which occurs at much lower temperatures.
Fahrenheit 225
centigrade 102

Low Grilling: Great for fish and vegetable or other delicate foods.
Fahrenheit 300
centigrade 150

Roasting: Not intended for cooking to acquire a smoke flavoring. The meat will be done before significant smoke flavor is acquired. (1-3 hours usually.)
Fahrenheit 325
centigrade 163

Medium Hot Grilling. Most common grilling temperature.
Fahrenheit 450 - 500 Most common grilling
centigrade: 232 - 260

Hot Grilling: Great for mesquite cooking where wood is strongly flavored. Steaks should be cooked at around 700 degrees (385 degrees C.)
Fahrenheit 550 +
centigrade 288 +

[p]Information Taken From:[p] WWW Site constructed, maintained and © 1996-7 by:
Nottingham Internet Resources
barbecue@nottingham.com[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Anthony Up North, [p]Aaaaaaaahhh!!!...I am somewhat skeptical of some of those temperature recommendations..Especially pork, beef and poultry.
    Pork is safe at 140 and above..and recommended now to be slightly pink in the center and 150 for ideal..higher is well done.
    Poultry is thigh temp of 180 and maximimum 170 for breast temp.
    Beef is 135 on up for rare to well done...
    Just some of the exceptions I would take to the Temps..
    Cheers..Char-Woody[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Yea, I agree - I think that is the old food thinking - back when the food chart had meat on top - now it's grains or something ?? I think pork is done at 150 deg and not worth eating at 180 if its a lean cut - like a chop.[p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Mine were cooked to between 150 and 155 this evening and they were juicy and oh, so delicious![p]Cornfed
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Stop teasing me![p]I never had pork chops until I got the Egg - well I had the ones my mom cooked in a cast iron skillet for 30 min back 20 yrs ago. Gees, how did I ever eat those things?? I love those big 2" chops in the Egg with some Char-Crust - darn, now I am teasing myself.[p]Tim