Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
dbennett561
dbennett561 Posts: 59
Picked up a 16.5 lb Prime Brisket from Costo today. Threw her on at 10pm @ 250. Plan to wrap in butcher paper once the stall occurs. I'll post more pics.

Here she is before the trim

Just prior to going on, Brisket is seasoned with Pepper, Salt and garlic powder.....me with Makers Mark

Thank you for taking a look. I love this forum.

Tampa, FL

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Looks good!  Enjoy the ride!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Looks like you have all your bases covered. Standing by. 
  • dbennett561
    Options
    update, 10 hours in, The temp of the brisket rose quickly and I didn't end up wrapping. Just didn't feel like waking up an hour after I went to bed. Anyhow, the flat is currently at 180, so I think I passed the stall. it smells delicious and we're looking forward to digging in.

Tampa, FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Nothing left to do now except take it off when it feels right.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Thing of beauty right there.  Enjoy the eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nothing better than a brisket cook. Nicely done. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dbennett561
    Options
    I should have waited it out and wrapped. The flat was a tad dry, the point was great. Here is a pic of that

Tampa, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Great result right there.  BTW- nice ring as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bkepler
    bkepler Posts: 1
    Options
    Nice ring and bark. Did you use BGE lump and did you add any smoking wood?
     Did you use a plate setter? What was the internal temp when you finally pulled this beauty - you mentioned the flat was a bit dry? I'm getting ready to do a brisket and trying to decide if I use the kamado or my SmokinTex 1400. Also I'm not sure if I should wrap it at the stall to finish.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    That looks like some good eating from where I'm standing.  Good job
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I cheat when I do mine. I inject 3-4 times during the cook. 50% beef broth, 25% onion juice, and 25% garlic juice...
    The thin edge of the end of the flat, I typically wrap in foil, and I never go by temp, I use the toothpick test. Probe until no resistance. I have pulled, generally based on grade of meat, from 189F, to 202F. The lower temps usually are prime and above, higher temps have been choice.
    My smoke wood of choice is pecan for brisket, and I use Rockwood lump exclusively. I was not pleased when I started using BGE Lump, which I had been informed it is bagged Royal Oak. Too many fines, dust and junk in the bags I purchased. Gave off an unpleasant smokey taste, that occasionally overpowered my wood chunks. When it covers hickory, there is a problem, I think. Others seem to be ok with it, which is fine, I just like neutral smoke, from the lump, and good smoke flavor from the wood chunks. (I got more issues than an airport magazine rack)
    Never use a target temperature for brisket, it is done when it is done. Start probing around 190F, it will get you there.
    When done, pull it and let it sit for about 20 mins, then BP or FTC for up to 4-6 hours as needed.
    This process has been working for me, others have their own system, which works very nicely. I learned from the experts on this forum, there are some real heavy hitters here.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Yo @YukonRon curious after you let it rest on the counter do you use BP and then towel, cooler, or do you keep it in BP, add foil and then towel cooler?  The BP is dripping w/ brisket goodness so I have wrapped in foil first to not ruin the towel...  Probably doesn't make a huge difference but curious what you do.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @GoooDawgs
    I wrap in an old clean towel, no foil. I have found that foil makes the bark a bit goofier than paper. I seldom use foil for cooking a brisket except for wrapping the thin edge of the flat, and rarely, upon occasion, as a "loose tent" prior to serving.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Fantastic post
    Huntsville, Al LBGE