Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Green Egg Table Questions

Options
Hey guys.  I hope everyone is having g a good evening.  I am new on here and to Green Eggs.  I got a XL and haven't used it yet.  I'm waiting to get finished with my table.
  BUT, I have an important t question about the best table location under my patio.  I would like to place it in the middle against the house.   I think it would look best here and keep it out of the weather more.  This location is the furtherest away from the eve of the roof.  I have a charcoal cheminey that I am planning on starting the coals with.  Will this location cause me to have too much smoke and get smoked out?  
  Second location is in the corner of the patio.  This would for sure eliminate most of the smoke.  Would smoke even be an issue with either location?  But how would the weather effect the egg?
  Any advice and opinions would be deeply appreciated.   Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    Options
    Not a chance I'd have it under a patio and against the house. Too much of a fire potential. Weather really isn't much of a concern but that's somewhat easy for me to say living in Vegas. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Welcome Jarrod.

without pictures it's a little hard to reccomnd a location. But cooking with an egg against the house or on a wooden deck can be very dangerous. The fire hazard is more of the issue than the smoke is. But each person has their own level of risk.

most tables have wheels for a reason. I keep mine on the covered tiled porch and roll it out to the pool deck when cooking. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jarrod4UA
    Jarrod4UA Posts: 5
    Options
    I will post some pics of patio when I get home.  Thanks for the advice. 
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    I agree with StJohnsEgger  Wheels on the table would be the way to go. You would have the best of both worlds.
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Jarrod4UA
    Jarrod4UA Posts: 5
    Options
    Please over look the mess!  But, as you can tell where the corner that I'm talking about (where my old gas grill is).   The center next to the house is about where the dog igloo is.   (I might have to do some rearrangement on the patio!)   Ha.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited May 2017
    Options

@Jarrod4UA As we say here.  I’d go full wallet genocide.  I’d build a new patio off that step by where the grill is now.  A little outdoor kitchen you might say.  Then add a kegerator and TV to that outdoor area you currently have.  You’d be set!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would keep it where your gasser now is.  When cooking wheel it out through that opening to the backyard onto the new slab you are going to pour (or pavers if you don't want a permanent feature).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.