Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Big Thank You and a First Attempt at Brisket

Options
Hi Everybody!  I purchased my first BGE about two weeks ago (a medium).  This site has been an invaluable resource as I've gotten used to working with it/testing out recipes.  So I just wanted to pass along a big thanks for all your help.  Now to the most important part, the food!  After my first couple cooks (spatchcock'd chicken, pork chops) I decided to give the old brisket a try.  Picked up an 8.5 pound flat at my local Costco (I'm in New York City), no dice on full packers there.  I kept it simple with my first "rub" just doing the Franklin salt/pepper rub.  

Woke up at about 5:15am this past Saturday and got the Egg going to approximately 250 degrees.  Threw her on at about 6:00am.  Got to an IT of 160F little past 9am.  I cooked it fat cap down (one could read for hours over that debate) and used an empty soda can wrapped in tin foil get it to fit on the Egg (thanks to that thread that showed how to do that). I was able to remove the can when I wrapped as the brisket had shrunk.

At 160F I pulled it off to wrap.  I was shaking in my boots a bit when I took it off and it seemed stiff as a board, thinking I did something stupid to screw it up already, but I forged on.  Wrapped it in tin foil with about 1/2 cup of Beef Stock.  Put it back on until it got up to about 195F.  Did the toothpick test at that point and seemed a little stiff.  Waited to about 199F and it was good to go.  Wrapped it in a towel, threw it in the cooler for about 4 hours (probably a bit longer than I had planned but guests were late to the party).

When I unwrapped it about 4 hours later it was still nice and hot and here are the results.....and I seem to be having a problem uploading more than one photo in a post so I'll reply to my own post with the finished photo.

I'll note that I used Royal Oak lump with about 3 chunks of hickory in the smoke.  Only issue I seemed to have was it was an exceptionally nasty day here on Saturday and I was getting a little fluctuation with the heat due to the high winds.  I was in/around 240-260 (I was trying to maintain 250).  If I do it again, I'd try to get a little lower (maybe closer to 230-240) as the brisket, while delicious, could've used just a little less toughness.

Medium BGE  Owner since May 2017
Trying to bring good BBQ to Queens, NY

Comments

• Viper4194
    Viper4194 Posts: 23
    Options

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks good and looks like you have a little bit of a point there in your sliced photo.  Looks nice and moist.  Looks like you got it down.  Happy Egging.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is a score right out of the gate. Nice work.

Lower temps do not mean it will be more tender. You were fine right where you were. 10 degrees either way is not going to hurt it. 20 won't either. Just let it settle in somewhere close to your intended target and let the egg do it's work. Flats are a little harder to get tender. You can do it but it takes some practice. Fortunately, we don't really even have flats here so I don't have to worry about it. I have a feeling you got all you were going to get out of that piece of meat. I am anti Costco brisket. I've never made a good one so it has to be the meat right? :wink:

look around and see if you can grab a Meyer all natural or a CAB (choice or prime). I think you will have better results with those brands but that's just me. There is always Snake river Farms too. They are a little pricey but they are worth every penny. They can really vary from cut-to cut and the brands I listed above have been very reliable and consistently good over many years for me. I have a Meyer all natural prime pastrami on the large as we speak. They are fantastic. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome.  Nice work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Home-run right there.  Congrats on jumping into the deep end of pool in short order.  The window of opportunity with a flat is tight as noted above so congrats on the cook.
    You went with the feel which is the only true finish-line indicator.  If it felt right (probes like buttah) when you declared victory that's the best you can do.  Nice ring as well-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Viper4194
    Options

look around and see if you can grab a Meyer all natural or a CAB (choice or prime). I think you will have better results with those brands but that's just me. There is always Snake river Farms too. They are a little pricey but they are worth every penny. They can really vary from cut-to cut and the brands I listed above have been very reliable and consistently good over many years for me. I have a Meyer all natural prime pastrami on the large as we speak. They are fantastic. 
    Thanks for the feedback Cen-Tex.  Unfortunately cuts of meat around these parts aren't nearly as stocked as where you are.  This was a choice cut so I was at least happy to see that.  I will look into SRF as they seem to be top notch and ship to NY but you're right about the cost.  Good luck with that pastrami!    
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Nice smoke ring. My first, and only, brisket had almost no smoke ring. My first was far from perfect but I loved it. I did the simple salt and pepper rub too. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Nice job!  Briskets get exponentially easier after you get the first one out of the way.  What is the empty soda can technique you were referring to?  I must have missed that one.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Looks great. Nice job. 
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    Nice Job.  I'm hoping to do my first brisket in the near future too.  I'm still trying to track down a whole packer in my area of PA.  If my next lead doesn't work out, I think I will just go ahead and get the biggest flat I can find.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Viper4194
    Options
    Nice job!  Briskets get exponentially easier after you get the first one out of the way.  What is the empty soda can technique you were referring to?  I must have missed that one.
    Thanks.  I had read if you have a brisket that won't lay flat on the grill cause it's too large you can put a soda can/upside down bowl under the middle of the brisket to lift it up slightly which brings it in from the sides allowing it to fit.
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    I've done the search for packers in SePA too.  The best options that I have found are RD and Shady Maple. Super Wal-Mart's have them to as do a few local markets.  Happy to give you more info if needed.

BJM2932 said:
    Nice Job.  I'm hoping to do my first brisket in the near future too.  I'm still trying to track down a whole packer in my area of PA.  If my next lead doesn't work out, I think I will just go ahead and get the biggest flat I can find.  
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks good from here. Nice work and welcome

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    As you are already discovering, cooking comes easy on the BGE.    The meat comes off so moist and delicious.   You just can't go wrong with that green cooker.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.