Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would a smaller Kick ash basket work

Options
Wonder if a Medium Kick Ash Basket would work just as well in a Large BGE as would an open Bar reducing ring.Looks like you'd kill two birds with one stone.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Should work, you just wouldn't be able to "overfill" the basket very far.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    That's a great idea for shorter cooks if you want to save some lump. As Botch said I wouldn't fill it above the basket. 
    Snellville, GA

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The KAB are made to rest on a spesefic spot on the fire box. If you use a smaller size, without the BGE cast iron grate, it might wedge down into the fire box. Heat expansion of the KAB might crack your fire box.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The KAB are made to rest on a spesefic spot on the fire box. If you use a smaller size, without the BGE cast iron grate, it might wedge down into the fire box. Heat expansion of the KAB might crack your fire box.

I'm getting an XL. My idea is to use an XL KAB in the grill and the Medium KAB as a Lump saver / Reducer. I think its a better bet than the open bar reducer ring and you get the benefit of the KAB to boot 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    B747crew said:

I'm getting an XL. My idea is to use an XL KAB in the grill and the Medium KAB as a Lump saver / Reducer. I think its a better bet than the open bar reducer ring and you get the benefit of the KAB to boot 
    What about the medium firebox in the XL as a lump saver?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• B747crew
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    SmyrnaGA said:
    B747crew said:

What about the medium firebox in the XL as a lump saver?
    I don't understand??
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Photo Egg said:

OK, I was just going from the information on your top post asking about using medium KAB in a large EGG.
    When using the KAB in the XL you need to also keep the original cast iron grate in place for support. Adding another smaller KAB as a lump reducer should work fine. 
    Let us know how it works for you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    From a thermodynamics stand point, the amount of lump you're going to save is really not that much and only happens in certain scenarios.  You still need to heat the entire xl whether you have 2# of lump blazing or 10# of lump burning normally.  It takes the same amount of BTU's to bring it to temp and maintain.  The only exception is that you concentrate the area for searing, so that might save some lump.  But ultimately the stuff in the basket burns exponentially faster than the what would be in the whole firebox, because the BTU's required remains constant (BTU's per pound in the charcoal is constant)

It's like selling your paid off car and buying a new Tesla to save on gas.  Yes, you will save money on gas but in the long run are you "saving" anything??
  • B747crew
    edited May 2017
    Options
    From a thermodynamics stand point, the amount of lump you're going to save is really not that much and only happens in certain scenarios.  You still need to heat the entire xl whether you have 2# of lump blazing or 10# of lump burning normally.  It takes the same amount of BTU's to bring it to temp and maintain.  The only exception is that you concentrate the area for searing, so that might save some lump.  But ultimately the stuff in the basket burns exponentially faster than the what would be in the whole firebox, because the BTU's required remains constant (BTU's per pound in the charcoal is constant)

It's like selling your paid off car and buying a new Tesla to save on gas.  Yes, you will save money on gas but in the long run are you "saving" anything??

Thanks  That Makes sense .

I'm actually not so much looking to save lump as I am trying to concentrate heat in one area for a quick smaller cook of steak, burgers and dogs and the like on the XL

• Photo Egg
    Options
    B747crew said:
         I'm actually not so much looking to save lump as I am trying to concentrate heat in one area for a quick smaller cook of steak, burgers and dogs and the like on the XL
    Should work great. Also good if you want to do a little Wok cooking.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2017
    Options
    B747crew said:

I think KAB make a lump reducing basket for the XL......or maybe it's CGS?  Somebody makes one.  I know both make inserts to wall off the firebox of basket.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    B747crew said:

If you light in one area on the XL, you do get a concentrated fire for smaller cooks, but you still have to heat up the big Egg. Some bricks would stop the fire from spreading, but I agree with @stlcharcoal and you won't save much. My MMX uses noticeably less lump for a quick small cook thatn my XL, just because it's got less mass to heat up (just see how long a hot XL takes to cool down when snuffed and you will realise how much energy is used to heat up the mass).
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Eoin said:
    B747crew said:

If you light in one area on the XL, you do get a concentrated fire for smaller cooks, but you still have to heat up the big Egg. Some bricks would stop the fire from spreading, but I agree with @stlcharcoal and you won't save much. My MMX uses noticeably less lump for a quick small cook thatn my XL, just because it's got less mass to heat up (just see how long a hot XL takes to cool down when snuffed and you will realise how much energy is used to heat up the mass).
    You don't have to heat up the entire XL to take advantage of a smaller, concentrated fire in a reducing ring. Cooking direct, over the hot lump is all you need for for small, quick cook. Cooking direct at grid level over a reducing ring is perfect for a couple burgers or steaks. It's not dependent on radiant heat from the ceramics or the entire Egg like indirect cooking.
    You just need the rising heat from the concentrated area of lump for direct cooking. I do agree that it's never going to be as efficient as cooking in a smaller Egg and energy is going to be lost heating a larger area no matter what.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas