Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another band post: Looking for opinion/help

Options
I've had my egg now for about 2 months and have absolutely loved the experience and food that it has allowed me to enjoy. This site has been a great source of info, and has drastically helped with the learning curve.  With that said I'm in need of some advice. I have the newer band assembly in place. This morning I went out and did a routine tightening of all my bolts (learned to routinely tighten and calibrate thermo).  I assembled the egg myself, and since assembly it has had a slight overbite on the left side and underbite on the right side.  I haven't noticed any smoke leaking out from either side during any cooks.  I did have an issue with my fire going out during a low and slow yesterday, but I'm leaning more towards poor fire building and starting as the cause of that.  The OCD Nurse in me wants to start tinkering around and fix this, but am also afraid of causing greater issues in attempting to fix.

With that said, should I:
1. Let it be until I have any issues or notice smoke leaking out a side?
2. Attempt to fix and straighten out the dome?
3. If fixing I assume I would loosen the 2 rear bolts, adjust the dome and re-tighten?

Here are some pictures of either side, the rear, and another view to make sure my bands placement isn't the problem.  I will be headed back to bed for night shift in a little while, so I apologize in any delays of answering questions.  As always thanks in advance for your help.  

Left Side

Right Side

Rear

Other View Left Side

L BGE
Paoli, PA

Instagram

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    You're fine.  I wouldn't tinker with it unless you're having trouble shutting down the egg and extinguishing a fire.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Thats the new band assembly so I would say get a friend and use the spacers and im sure you will get it straight. I still smoke well on my egg even with smoke leaking from the sides at the start. Ive given up on fixing my underbite. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've had an underbite for years and have ZERO problem smoking, maintaining 225, or killing the lump at the end of a cook.  Egg On!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    Alright so I have 2 saying to leave it and one for fixing. Perhaps I'll will leave it as is for now, but I know eventually I will give in and try to fix it. Thanks guys. 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You can't fix it if there isn't anything wrong.  It is functioning fine.  Your issue is cosmetic. There is always the possibility of creating a real problem in an attempt to 'fix' a problem that doesn't exist.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'd leave it too, that's as good as it gets anyway, top and bottom aren't perfectly matched all the time's. If you had a problem with a fire going out, you have a good seal...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    If it doesn't leak I'd leave it alone. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Another vote to leave it. I would give it the dollar bill test to ensure you have a good top to base seal.  Insert a dollar bill on the gasket, shut the dome and pull out the dollar.  Should get good resistance.  Do this at several points just to ease your mind.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    I'd leave it alone but it does appear as if the lower band is riding low. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Lower band needs to be level and high and the upper level and low. Then the key is the bolts are tight under high heat.  Having typed that, it is irrelevant in most cases.  I do get it, I tinkered with mine until I reached perfection.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I don't understand why BGE doesn't make the bands thicker so they can ride in the cutout on the ceramics.  I don't notice that much thermal expansion, they must have a reason though...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • BJM2932
    Options
    I'd leave it too, that's as good as it gets anyway, top and bottom aren't perfectly matched all the time's. If you had a problem with a fire going out, you have a good seal...
    This thought didn't even cross my mind, but makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I imagine most eggs will have a small over/under bite.  I think it could drive a person crazy trying to get it perfect!  Just cook on!  Also if you still have factory fire grate you could upgrade.  Since I got my high q no more worrying about overnight burn outs on low n slows!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You also need to measure carefully to see if perfect is even possible.  The diameter on the top and bottom of my egg are a bit different.  They will never line up perfectly.  Only thing that really matters is if they form a good seal to control air flow.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BJM2932
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I will just let it go and keep an eye on it since I know it has a good seal.  Couple adult beverages into each cook I won't even notice the underbite!
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram