Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Double Cut Pork Chop Advice?

I have a 2"+ Frenched, double cut pork chop that I'm planning on smoking.  Any advice?

My plan was indirect, around 250 for a couple of hours.  Plain and simple.

I'm just wondering if it will end up dried out?  I've done an equilibrium brine on it for about a week already.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Personally I have never cared for a smoked chop and I've tried it a few times. Usually way too dry. Maybe that week long brine might help.

I would reverse sear, go low and slow until you get an IT of 135ish and then sear hard until an IT of 145. That will be slightly pink.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I agree with @GrillSgt roast until 130 IT and sear it until 138-140 IT. Let rest 10 minutes and get after it. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Thanks guys!  This is kind of an experiment and dryness is a concern.  I normally take these brined chops and cook them in ghee with garlic and thyme and spoon bathe them as they cook.  We eat them medium rare.

I think I'll coat them in Mangalitsa Bacon Butter before I put them on with the hope that it will help minimize any drying out.  BTW, the brine helps TREMENDOUSLY with them not drying out when cooking my other way.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2017
    Here is another thread with a method very similar to what was discussed above. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155810/best-pork-chop-ive-ever-had/p1

I have done this and it is excellent.  (Note: Page 2 has the best pics).

I think as long as you don't overcook it you have nothing to fear about it drying out, especially since you have already brined it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i like to go hotter, 450 to 500 dome for good color, off the grill before 135 for a cut that thick.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it