Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your go-to rub?

Options
I had a conversation Saturday night with @DoubleEgger and @Jupiter Jim  about this. Jim said he had several rubs that he uses every time for his regular meals. If I remember right he said he used "cluck and squeal" and plain old Montreal steak seasoning (?). I know I always do the plow boys yard bird for chicken, always@BrookieP later agreed with me. For everything else, I seem to rotate around and try different stuff. Therefore, I still have a cabinet full of all the popular rubs and seasonings. So, give me your one, go to, must have for chicken, pork and beef. Let's narrow this down, as the cabinet is getting full. 

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I use DP Raging River/ Shaking the Tree for chicken. I like Stubb's coffee rub for beef; generic BBQ rub for ribs and pork butt. I don't have a go-to for pork. I'll get flamed for this but the differences are subtle between most rubs - I'll take any rub over none and I bet it will be tasty if cooked properly. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I have a cardboard box that I keep full of Dizzy Pig varieties. I try to rotate them but I am real fond of Mad Max for turkeys, Redeye Express for pork loin, and Raging River as multi purpose. The new Mole is good also. I could get by with just those four but why?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Head country for wings and pork. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Chicken = Yard bird 
    Pork = Bad Byrons 
    Beef = Cow Lick 

I'll add a category 

Veggies = Everglades seasoning  =)

These three are the most popular/staple rubs. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Raging river- salmon

tsunami spin- pork

Honey hog- chicken

Various for beef

Greensboro, NC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Been using oak ridge Santa Maria a lot lately like it better than cow lick or holly cow right now. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    For chicken my goto lately has been Albuquerque Green Chille Rub 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Chicken - plowboys yardbird
    pork- strawberry's or pb yardbird (yes its good on pork, too)
    beef-meatchurch holy cow

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    SPOG is alway my go to unless I'm trying to introduce flavors like heat(swamp Venom) or sweet (tsunami spin).  But 9 outta 10 times it's SPOG. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    My favorite go-to lately for pork and chicken has been Willie's Hog Dust outta Sumter, SC. Good stuff. I found it at the Bilo in Chapin, SC. Looks like they've made it pretty big lately though and offer numerous products. All I've tried is their rub though. 
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Southern flavor on steaks. Always. I go back and forth on chicken, etc. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     My staples are "The BBQ Rub" by Killer Hogs for a general purpose colorizing sweet/low heat. SPOG as a simple seasoning on nearly anything. Old Bay for seafood and veggies and most anything(popcorn/eggs/fries) on occasion. Still experimenting with chicken. Yardbird was OK, but I prefer THE BBQ Rub to it. Have been messing around with other combos lately. I always have Montreal steak seasoning and like it as an added texture on top of other beef rubs for large cuts. Cowlick is high on my list but some in the family think it to be too spicy...

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited April 2017
    Options
    deleted!
    Gittin' there...
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    for beef I always reserve Saskatchewan Steak spice (like montreal steak spice but saltier) for everything else I use dizzy pig Jamaican Firewalk, I put that $hit on everything, especially eggs, a light dusting on eggs is incredible.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    dizzy pig dizzy dust on pulled pork and chicken, salt and pepper on steak, DP raging river on salmon.

my elfster sent me "Willards Kitchen BBQ Rub" last year and it's killer on pork chops.  (hint hint @cazzy)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's not that easy.  Which protein, long cook v. Short cook.  Sugar content and salt.  MSG.  Spicy or not...  And then there's the clump issue.  The experimentation is part of the fun.  I have heard Matt has a go to hand rub.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Chelnerul
    Chelnerul Posts: 153
    Options
    - Been experimenting with Meathead's Big Bad Beef rub on brisket and beef ribs, turned out excellent on everything. 
    - Meathead's Memphis Dust on recent pork offerings
    - Oakridge's Habanero Death Dust on almost all carbon-based matter
    - Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, AP Seasoning, and Hot BBQ Rub
    - Dizzy Pig Raging River on salads, seafood
    - Pit Barrel Cooker General Purpose on chicken

Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    bgebrent said:
     I have heard Matt has a go to hand rub.
    I heard it's versatile and after a few minutes, it makes its own sauce.  At least, that's what I heard.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
     I have heard Matt has a go to hand rub.
    I heard it's versatile and after a few minutes, it makes its own sauce.  At least, that's what I heard.
    That's the one.  Maybe @tarheelmatt could elaborate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited April 2017
    Options

Woody's Bar-B-Q Dry Rub, especially since it's a product from my home state.  It doesn't hurt that Sam's Club sells 22 ounces of it for under seven bucks.  I do mix it 50/50 with garlic powder occasionally. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    LDR said:

Woody's Bar-B-Q Dry Rub, especially since it's a product from my home state.  It doesn't hurt that Sam's Club sells 22 ounces of it for under seven bucks.  I do mix it 50/50 with garlic powder occasionally. 

Is that the one made in waldenburg?

Little Rock, AR

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Head Country original & High Plains Heat
    Yardbird
    John Henry Mojave Garlic
    salt free lemon pepper
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Beef - holy cow
    chicken - generally season salt and pepper followed by an Heb wing sauce
    pork - killer hogs the bbq rub
    veggie - penzeys Arizona dreaming is amazing. I'm branching out on that to meat as well. 
    Wife would eat a shoe sole with raging river. I'm meh on it. 
    Drink while egging - bud light. I like to mix it up with cans and long necks. Keep it fresh.  
    Large

Houston,TX
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Simply Marvelous Rubs by Stef Franklin, next rub exchange, I'm gonna give my giftee all 10 of the rubs.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Salt and pepper most of the time. I really like a coffee rub for brisket, SPOG, and I have my own, blend I use for pork and chicken, occasionally.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    MONTREAL steak seasoning. I purchase the large size from a club type store. I not only use it ion steak, but add to my Bloody Mary mix, grilled asparagus, meatloaf, beef stew etc. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I really like Everglades Fish and Chicken for, errr. Fish and Chicken.
    I have a nice bottle of Rudy's rub that I like to use quite often as well.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    So many things running through my head and none of them have to do with cooking. I havent found a go to rub yet, I have tried many and none have jumped out as the winner. I just got some dizzy pig Jamaican fire walk to try but havent gotten around to it.  I use Tony Chacheries and some brown sugar most of the time. I dont know what it is I just cant find the one