Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Prime Rib results

Pre-seasoned Prime Rib 6.9lbs from Tiefenthaler Meats in Holstein, Iowa. tqmeats.com Sous Vide for 10 hours at 131 degrees and then finished on the grill at 475 degrees for 10 minutes.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice! How's the flavor?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    edited April 2017
    Awesome! Have done their prime ribs before, 1st time sous vide.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    I don't really understand Sous Vide.  How on earth do you have any idea how long it will take the 6lb of meat to get to 131 temp?  What if it gets to 131 two hours before the meal, do you just leave it in there?
    War Damn Eagle!
  • JT272929
    fishepa said:
    I don't really understand Sous Vide.  How on earth do you have any idea how long it will take the 6lb of meat to get to 131 temp?  What if it gets to 131 two hours before the meal, do you just leave it in there?
    The internet is a great thing! lol. Even if it was in there 2 hours past when it was done, it is still fine since it can't overcook .

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I did a prime one a couple weeks ago for close to 20 hrs- was my best one yet. 

That looks great- love a good prime rib. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Well played!! Bravo 
  • JT272929
    Also Did @RRP Au Jus and Horseradish Sauce

• JT272929
    planning on warming the leftovers back up in the sous vide too.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Perfection on a plate, nice cook.
    Love their brats.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JT272929
    Focker said:
    Perfection on a plate, nice cook.
    Love their brats.
    Yeah, their Skinless brats are legit, originally from Storm Lake, every time I head up there I get a cooler full. John is awesome too, if you want anything custom (bone in beef ribs) he will hook you up

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Nice cook! I miss their brats too. The jalapeno and cheddar were always my favorite. I'm sure they have some new flavors since I've been there. Must be at least 10 years or more.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JT272929
    minniemoh said:
    Nice cook! I miss their brats too. The jalapeno and cheddar were always my favorite. I'm sure they have some new flavors since I've been there. Must be at least 10 years or more.
    o yeah, regular, jalapeno chedder, pineapple, pineapple jalapeno, salsa, philly steak, cheesy potato, etc.... 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    How does it compare to a reverse sear method?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    JT272929 said:
    minniemoh said:
    o yeah, regular, jalapeno chedder, pineapple, pineapple jalapeno, salsa, philly steak, cheesy potato, etc.... 
    DOH! I'm going to have to find someone traveling there and brings some back for me!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    dstearn said:
    About the same, IME, obviously timing is easier with sous vide. As long as you watch the ITs, PRs cone out great pretty much anyway you cook them (again, IME). 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2017
    dstearn said:
    Before SV, reverse sear was used for rib roast. For RS the lower the temp, the better, the smoke and the rub slowly work their magic as the IT comes up to about 5º-10º below target serving temp, the egg is indirect with about a 250ºF dome. And there is the issue with RS, the outer inch or so wil be closer to 250º than the centre which is maybe at 120º. As you hold the roast while the egg goes nuclear. It will continue to cook and cool at the same time. Sear and serve. Timing is important. 
    With SV, no timing, no guesswork. The roast will hold at temp for hours, no overcooking and the finish is as the photo shows, edge to edge, no grey band on the outer edges. 
    I like to CI sear before the SV, then after SV either sear for more crust or serve right out of the SV bag, depends on the use of board sauce and other sides. I think the sear before the bath adds flavour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!