Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Moving my egg for a comp: OT

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
how do you guys transport your eggs?  Local dealer has an egg comp coming up and I'd like to join in the fun, but not sure of the safest way to move my xl.  It in a nest.  Should I just wrap it in packing materials and put it in a box, or something else.  It's not work Turing my egg in to  Humpty Dumpty for a chance at $600.  
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Any chance you can talk your dealer into letting you cook on one at the store and turn it into a demo-BGE?  
    I'm sure the those who transport will be along-I would pull the guts at a minimum.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    I have a medium and would not move it, so I would not even consider transporting an XL. I have thought about taking the medium with us on some local camping trips, but decided it is just not worth taking the chance. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited April 2017
    Options

Just moved houses with an XL.  Empty the guts, get a buddy and saddle up.

In your vehicle, wrap the internals in towels and strap the base/dome to prevent bouncing

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    I sort of depends on what you drive. I have a truck and a minivan. I will move my large in the mini van vs the truck. In order to move, I take the internals out and remove the dome. I leave the bands in place. To reassemble, I just slide the dome back in the bands and tighten. Not the easiest to move, but it is doable. I do. Move it by myself, but SWMBO is always there to help if need be. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Pull the guts first. Loosen the bottom band and pull the dome and hinge assembly off in one piece. Pull the base out of the nest and you're good to go. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When I take my large, I put cardboard or towels around the internals and between the dome and base. I use a pot lifter to move it around.
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks guys, for the info.  talked with my busy Seth who's going to help with the cook and we can use his box truck with  lift gate  to move it.   I will wrap it all up and use blankets and cardboard  in between dome and bass.  Strap the two together and  pray for safe transport. 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    When I moved my medium, I pulled the guts and dome. Guts went face down on a moving blanket with the bottom upside down over them. The dome went upside down on a moving blanket as well. I think I ran a line around them and cushioned them against the wheel well. I then tied the line to the bed cleats. The move was only about 25 miles and this was the easiest part.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I will be moving two this Friday for a comp. like everyone suggests- remove the guts. Place cardboard between upper and lower. Strap down lid. 
    If you are moving in a truck, place as far forward to reduce the bounce. 
    Below is my post from last year on this. There is a picture of a carrier that is a must. I use a tie down strap on the open end to make sure it doesn't open up. 
    Good luck!!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1193902/how-do-you-transport-your-egg#latest
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

This is how I've been doing it for a year or so.  I just remove internal parts and lay on cardboard in back of truck, then ratchet strap the eggs down to the trailer. ....sometimes I place pieces of cardboard in between the internals and leave them in the eggs. Sometimes, I don't even worry about the internals and just strap the eggs down, as is.

I have not had any problems so far....but I drive slowly and carefully !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A word of caution - I once used my Egg in nest for a comp. The rolling of the nest on the bumpy pavement from my home to the truck for transport loosened the screws significantly and almost resulted in a cracked Egg. Check the screws on your nest before, during and after transport.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I moved my Small to my first (and only) BBQ contest, in the back of my Tacoma.  Lifted it out of the nest, slid to the front-passenger corner, then strapped in (didn't remove the internals or lid).  
    With an XL, all I can say is "bring a friend".  
    Good luck!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ryantt
    Options
    You are absolutely right @Botch, bring a friend. Hopefully one with a strong back!